Van Malone Article

Harry

http://www.statesman.com/horns/content/spo...17TEXWHERE.html

LONGHORNS FOOTBALL

Catching up with Van Malone, 1989-1993

Advertisement

UT ATHLETICS

(enlarge photo)

Texas' Van Malone played with the Longhorns from 1989 to 1993.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Cedric Golden

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, September 17, 2005

One of the nation's hardest-hitting defensive backs, Malone was part of a Texas secondary that led the nation in pass efficiency in 1990 and 1991 before the Detroit Lions selected the All-American in the second round of the 1994 draft (57th overall). He played four seasons there before signing with Arizona, but a preseason hip injury ended his playing days.

Malone is in his second season as the defensive backs coach at the University of North Texas.

Malone says he's 35 "going on 70." He has been married to Nedra for 10 years. The parents of two sons are expecting a third child in December.

Q: How different is being the teacher as opposed to being a player? Which is harder?

A: I have wanted to coach since I was in the seventh grade. I found a little notebook from that time in my life. I had drawn up offensive plays that I would use as a coach. Funny. As a player, I worked hard to study the opponent. As a coach the time commitment is doubled. Coaching is surely more difficult than playing.

Q: Your greatest memory at Texas?

A: When we lost the Colorado game (29-22) in 1990 and our seniors stood up in the locker room and proclaimed that we would not lose another game that season. Of course, the games against A&M when I had 14 and 17 tackle games were big for me as well. I would have liked the wins more than all those tackles.

Q: The best athlete you ever played with?

A: Barry Sanders, hands down. When I was leaving the practice field everyday, the greatest runner ever to play the game was still there doing wind sprints. He did 20 everyday after practice. Players would come to me before the game and ask for tips on how to tackle him.

Q: And the best you ever played against?

A: Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Brett Favre because these guys understand the game inside and out. They study the opponent and know how to take advantage of defensive weaknesses

Q: How has the game changed since you played?

A: Like any old schooler, I would say that these young whipper snappers are not as tough as I would like them to be. XBox and PlayStation2, which I have both, has made our kids TV athletes.

user posted image