UNT opens season at #5 LSU

MeanGreen61

"This will be the third meeting between North Texas and LSU, with the Tigers holding a 101-7 scoring edge over the Mean Green. LSU took the first game in the series 49-7 in 1995, and the second 52-0 in 1999. However, this will be the first meeting the Mean Green will face a nationally-ranked LSU squad. The Tigers enter the season ranked fifth in the country."

A 101-7 scoring edge and this is the first time LSU is nationally ranked. ph34r.gif

All of that about the past scores is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to this weeks game. I'll never understand in a million years how it is that reminding people how bad we have had our ass whipped in the past is suppose to encourage people to go out and buy tickets? If your a new fan reading that and wavering about going, why in hell would you want to go now?

Rick

I don't know much about UNT football, but I would guess that you guys have come along way since '99. I remember that game, as it was my first in tiger stadium as a student and first game to go to in 5 seasons. I think with your rushing capabilities, our run defense will get tested in a hurry, and if they're not up for the task, they can be in for a long day.

North Texas flagship station is KWRD 100.7 FM in the greater Dallas metroplex. George Dunham (play-by-play) and Hank Dickenson (color) will provide the call. The game can also be heard on North Texas campus radio KNTU 88.1, on KPXI 100.7 FM in the Tyler/Longview area or on KAFR 88.3 FM in Houston. The live broadcast of the game can be accessed on the internet through MeanGreenSports.

Completely agree about drudging up the past scores, if you are thinking about going (or buying season tickets for that matter) I would think that this press release would be a hinderance to that decision. This is a very Sean Johnson-like press release, I hope our SID is not getting sour the way that SJ did towards the end his tenure at NT. Towards the end of his stay (before high tailing it out of town to Las Cruces), SJ was a very bitter man that seemed to always dwell on the negative.

On a POSITIVE NOTE - it looks like the MGRN has expanded into the Houston area (most likely to make a certain Mattress Salesman happy, lol) I hope that it is for the whole season and not just the one game due to the opponent. I would have guessed that 88.3 would be the UH college station; but surely they wouldn't broadcast the North Texas game for us unless we have agreed to broadcast their games as some sort of barter arrangement (just a wild guess).. Anyone from this board familiar with 88.3? Does it have a good signal? Also, is it associated with the UH System? What is the normal programming on the station (i.e. sports, music, etc...)?

Edited by stebo

Steve here is what I could find about the station, which evidently does Christian Broadcasting. The good news is that they recently increased their broadcast power. The bad news is their signal apparently doesn't hit all of the Houston area just the Northern sector, ie Conroe, Woodlands etc. Perhaps some of our Houston bretheren can check the signal strength for us. Irregardless, this is good news for our fans in the Houston area.

KAXF 88.3 FM Conroe (Houston), Texas

KAXF 88.3 FM in Conroe (Houston), Texas will complete a tower relocation and power upgrade on Monday, June 2, 2003

The station will have a new 443 foot tower. The broadcast power will increase from 28,000 watts to 100,000 watts, the strongest wattage allowed for a radio station.

http://www.afr.net/newafr/newstations.asp

Where is it heard?

KAXF will have a 54 mile coverage radius that reaches the entire northern half of the Houston metropolitan area, including cities like Conroe, Huntsville and The Woodlands.

How many will hear it?

The new signal will reach nearly two million people, making it the largest population covered by any American Family Radio station.

Facts About the Area:

Houston is located in the southeastern corner of Texas, just off Galveston Bay. Nicknamed "Space City USA", it is home to NASA’s Johnson Space Center. Not only is Houston the largest city in both Texas and the southern US, but it is also the fourth most populous city in the nation.

Looks like we have the Prison Fan covered, lol. Seriously, this is great news for the MGRN. To have a 3rd FM station broadcasting the games is a big deal, I am surprised that nothing more has been said about this from the department. I wonder if the coverage is only for the LSU game (proximity to the state of LA) or if KAFR is our newest full fledged member of the "Network"... heck, I think we can actually call it a Network without a wink and a smile now... before, it was kind of silly to call one station (plus the student station) as a "network".

Forgive me for being Geographically challenged but isn't Spring, TX (in the heart of the station's coverage) an epicenter of pretty good High School football? Where is Longview in relation to this area? (I told you I was geographically challenged, lol)... Maybe this coverage along with the extended coverage from KWRD's second tower will overlap (probably not - just wshful thinking)? I would love to someday drive across Texas (at least down to Houston) and be able to switch channels along the way to just find the next station covering the Mean Green as the other station's signal faded out. On my last road trip to see us play the MUTS, I noticed that they have an extensive radio network - and you can literally just change channels as you drive from one part of the state to the other in order to find the next station picking up the games. It was pointed out to me by Adler that even though the MUTS have about 50 local stations listed in the back of their program that carry their games - all of those stations combined do not reach even half of the amount of homes that our meager two stations could reach. Just an advantage of our location, and the "Word" really does have a great/strong signal, even if KNTU is pretty weak broadcasting to the South towards the Metroplex. The signal actually is pointed more North and the folks in the Gainesville area get pretty good reception from what I understand.

BTW, is it a coincidence that Jamario's hometown started getting covered when the WORD opened up its satellite tower out in the Longview area? Perhaps the interest in getting some Mean Green action on the radio helped move them out that way? Heck, maybe it was the other way around - maybe JaMo got to hear some games on the WORD before deciding to come to NT? I really don't know when the WORD expanded up to that area - so it is tough to tell which came first, the chicken or the egg, lol. Maybe JaMo played a big part in the Word choosing to broadcast the games at their fairly new satellite tower... I guess that would be a stretch but they DID have a Jamario Thomas Day and they had like a parade for his homecoming after 04-05 season or something. I remember seeing a picture from a local Longview newspaper clipping that had kids lined up around his old high school waiting to get his autograph. I don't know if this covers that area, but I am pretty sure that the "Word's" satellite station might.

Ok, enough of the long winded posting - Here is the MAP of the new/added coverage as provided by Matty and I have included the link in his response to give credit to the website where the picture is hosted, I am going to go our on a limb and say that Mattress Mack lives up in North Houston (most of the nicer homes are in Northern Houston) and should be able to pick up the games on the radio for the first time since 1994... back in 1994, we had a huge radio network (like 17 or 18 stations) and every single game was broadcast on TV locally. The only other team in the country that could claim to have every single game on TV that year was Notre Dame. I think it was 1994, might have been 1995. Our flagship station back then was a fledgling "The Ticket" that most people thought would be out of business within a year. This was before "Sports Talk Radio" had really taken off, at least the style that the Ticket showcases where it is more "Guy Talk" then "Sports Talk" (lol)

user posted image

Edited by stebo

Can Plumm be posting under Stebo's name?!! smile.gif

This is good news. I live in the NW area of Houston and am on call this weekend. I have been trying to get out of it, but it appears I am stuck. So, atleast I can hear the game on radio and not have to rely on the internet!! I really want to be there, but barring a miracle, I will have to listen to it.

Camping in Ruston, Louisiana 3 years ago I was able to pick up "The Word". So I imagine their signal strength travels into Longview pretty well.

Point of clarification, it's not a satelite signal. It's a radio broadcast signal.

I also imagine that the station in Houston will carry all the games. And that should be promoted. We really need to get on the ball when it comes to broadcasting our games on the radio.

We used to have a station in Waco up until 3 or 4 years ago.

Edited by EagleD

Camping in Ruston, Louisiana 3 years ago I was able to pick up "The Word".  So I imagine their signal strength travels into Longview pretty well. 

Point of clarification, it's not a satelite signal.  It's a radio broadcast signal. 

I also imagine that the station in Houston will carry all the games.  And that should be promoted.  We really need to get on the ball when it comes to broadcasting our games on the radio.

We used to have a station in Waco up until 3 or 4 years ago.

I think that they have a second tower for that area. Maybe the programming is exactly the same - but I think that they pump it in to Longview and then re-broadcast it over another tower. The WORD has a great signal but I really don't believe it is strong enough to carry all the all into Longview, is it? So that is like having a second station, kind of. I think that they are able to use the same frequency because it was available, and because the programming does not change or overlap another. But I could be wrong. Anyone know the details on this, I have always been curious as to how the "Word" was re-broadcast through the Longview area - I know that they have a strong towere but I don't think any tower is strong enough to go all the way from Ft Worth to Longview, is it?

BTW, is it a coincidence that Jamario's hometown started getting covered when the WORD opened up its satellite tower out in the Longview area? Perhaps the interest in getting some Mean Green action on the radio helped move them out that way? Heck, maybe it was the other way around - maybe JaMo got to hear some games on the WORD before deciding to come to NT? I really don't know when the WORD expanded up to that area - so it is tough to tell which came first, the chicken or the egg, lol. Maybe JaMo played a big part in the Word choosing to broadcast the games at their fairly new satellite tower... I guess that would be a stretch but they DID have a Jamario Thomas Day and they had like a parade for his homecoming after 04-05 season or something. I remember seeing a picture from a local Longview newspaper clipping that had kids lined up around his old high school waiting to get his autograph. I don't know if this covers that area, but I am pretty sure that the "Word's" satellite station might.

WORD 100.7 was originally KPXI 100.7. KPXI broadcasted from Mt. Pleassant Tx (Home of Maurice Holman) WORD bought the 100.7 frequency from KPXI years back (center of the dial is coveted in radio) Mt. Pleasant is about an hour north of Longview. The satellite tower you speak of is the original 100 Watt tower KPXI broadcasted from on hwy 67 in Mt. Pleasant which is easily heard in Longview, Gladewater, Tyler to the south and Paris to the north.