Freshman Phillips Learning on the Fly

UNTLifer

DRC

Football: Freshman QB Phillips learning on the fly

Former Lake View star moves up to second spot on depth chart

09:22 AM CDT on Friday, August 19, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Matt Phillips had more than enough reason to give up on playing for North Texas last winter.

The Mean Green inked 25 players on national signing day, but asked Phillips to wait for the team to sort out its scholarship and quarterback situation.

Phillips agreed to the plan, instead of playing for a smaller school — a choice that has paid off in ways even he couldn’t anticipate the last few months. The former San Angelo Lake View standout not only landed a scholarship at UNT, but he has quickly risen up the Mean Green’s depth chart.

“It’s crazy the way it has worked out, but that’s football,” Phillips said. “Someone might get hurt or stay healthy for the whole year. You hear all the time about strange injuries where people break their hand washing their car or something like that. You have to be prepared all the time.”

Phillips needed just nine days to surpass several more experienced players and move into the second spot on the Mean Green’s depth chart at quarterback, behind redshirt freshman Daniel Meager.

Meager has sat out several practices this fall with a series of injuries, including a pulled hamstring. Those injuries have opened the door for Phillips to work with the Mean Green’s first-team offense.

Phillips and Meager are among several players competing for the right to take over for Scott Hall, a four-year starter who completed his career last season. Hall is the Mean Green’s all-time leader in passing efficiency.

“Daniel has been out a little bit and to this point Matt is doing very well picking things up and handling the offense,” UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. “We want to give him more opportunities and see how much he can handle.”

Phillips threw for 1,950 yards and 11 touchdowns during his senior season at Lake View and was named District 4-4A’s Offensive MVP.

The skills that made him a top high school player have helped him adapt to the college game and the Mean Green’s offensive system.

“I have been learning everything I can, listening to coach [Ramon] Flanigan and talking to the rest of the quarterbacks,” Phillips said. “They have been helping me out a lot. I am not trying to do anything special. I just want to get the job done.”

Phillips got a jump on the learning process by moving to Denton two weeks before the beginning of fall practices to talk to Flanigan, UNT’s offensive coordinator, and adapt to a new environment.

That extra time in Denton has helped Phillips settle in at UNT.

“I am coming together with everyone,” Phillips said. “The linemen are treating me like one of their own and the receivers have been making me look good. Those guys can run.”

Dickey called Phillips one of the pleasant surprises of fall practice because of the way he has quickly adjusted to the college game and throwing to faster receivers. Phillips’ performance could lead to an increased role this fall when UNT begins its pursuit of a fifth straight Sun Belt Conference title.

The opportunity is one Phillips is preparing to capitalize on.

“If it comes to that point, I will be prepared,” Phillips said of the possibility of playing as a freshman. “I am watching a lot of film and trying to be as ready as I can be.”

UNT pondering logos

UNT is still considering multiple logo designs for its helmets and is also trying to decide if it will place a logo at the 50-yard line at Fouts Field.

The school is installing a new artificial surface at the stadium this fall.

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said if UNT places a logo at the 50-yard line, it will be painted on the field, so that it could be changed at a later date.

Construction workers have already begun installing permanent lettering in the end zones at the field. The north end zone will read “North Texas” while the south end zone will read “Mean Green.”

Man, I really like the kid's composure. I'm also impressed that he arrived two weeks early to begin learning the system. That's some real dedication. Whether he starts this year or not, I think he'll be great for us in the future.

Also, he sounds like a very humble and unselfish guy. I think he'll fit right in with the great guys already on the team.

Sounds like he's got his head on straight. He could be the answer to our prayers.

And he sounds as if he has the ability to stay eligible. Another plus in my book, he has West-Texas roots... we like winning out here.

Well, to toot my own horn a little bit, I'll quote my own post from a few weeks ago regarding Phillips in the competition for the starting QB.

Phillips: If I DID have a bias, it would probably be for this guy, but I've got my reasons.  Size, strength, numbers.  It also happens to be the guy I've seen and heard play the most, from my time in West Texas over the last couple of years.  Although his arrival at North Texas wasn't nearly as heralded as some of the other young QB recruits, I feel he would be the most likely to step in his freshman year and make a difference.  He's the most "ready", IMO.  That doesn't necessarily mean his has the most upside.