The Mavs are playing really well on the road which is a complete turnaround from last season. How can you lose at home to the Bulls (not that bad anymore) and then go out and win at Sacramento and Seattle? I'm not complaining.

It's good to see Finley at least showing some effort again, I was really starting to think that his time as the featured shooting guard on this team had passed. I can't wait to have Stack and Daniels completely healthy again. This team looks as strong as the '03 team that went to the conference finals in my opinion. I think that Terry has that same kind of swagger that Van Exel had that season.

Anyway, it was incredibly sweet to watch the reactions of the Sacramento and Seattle crowds after those games this past weekend. I always love beating the Kings.

user posted image

Guest JohnDenver

The Kings game was sweet.  Can we start calling ARCO "AAC West" now?

Terry does remind me of Van Exel in those playoffs, though Terry passes better and plays better defense.

He doesn't have the confidence as a shooter though ... Van Exel would go a quarter and throw up 15 shots (if needed). JET seems to take the final shot when he has too and doesn't seek it. I can't complain about either. I love having JET on the team.

Finley regaining his form is perfect ... in the Sonic's game he drove the basket in the final two minutes and got to the line twice. That is priceless to have when a person shoots 90% from the line.

And finally, how about Dampier and his growth lately? I hope he doesn't wear down ... He will be the missing piece in the playoff run.

Having a legit big center is great....I don't miss the days of Lorenzo Williams.

I'm not sure if I buy the logic I have heard on the radio that Avery coaching helps Dampier more than Nellie. I think having Avery around and playing such a big role has helped the defense. I mean, even Dirk is playing decent defense.

Finley had just gotten too far away from his game. He had become an almost pure jump shooter, when he earned his contract by slashing to the rim and throwing it down. It's good that he has added the jump shot over the years, but Nellie needed to call him out on that and I guess it worked.

Guest JohnDenver

I feel bad for Finley though. He is always the main target of criticism. Nellie turned him into what he is. Nellie is a "shoot the open shot first, drive second" type of coach. He always has been and always will be. Finley is an awesome shooter and there is always an open shot with the swing passes in Nellie's system.

With that being said, it is good that Nellie is finally realizing the Fin needs to use the other side of his game more ... In the past few years we had Nash to run in with reckless abandon to pick up the personal fouls. This year we have Stackhouse, but that is nothing near what Nash brought to the table. Nellie recentering Finley's game is great, but Finley was put into that situation... If a player doesn't completely (and I do mean completely) buy into his system, he will find his ass on the bench. Look at Fortson last year. He goes to the Sonics and is the type of player the Mavs needed last year. He wasn't the problem, it was his interactions with Nellie that was the problem. Nellie is quick to bench. Finley did as he was told and his minutes continues to be near 40 per game.

With the development of Dirk and as awesome as he is becoming, it gives Nellie the option to loosen up on Finley.

I like the looks of this team...

I am not on the Avery bandwagon completely. He played some really sorry teams in his two week stint and he played them TOO close. He wouldn't open on the offense and let the team run! The Bobcats!? Clippers?! Give me a break ... there is no way those games should have been close.

Edited by JohnDenver

Jason Terry's play is making the loss of Nash not hurt so much. I was not expecting much from him coming into this season and he has really been playing well.

As great as Nash was for the Mavs, this team is built better for the playoffs. We are very deep, have a legit center, and having Stackhouse come off the bench is huge. I don't think he gets enough credit for how well this team has played. I think this team has the best shot out of any of the recent Mavs playoff teams to go all the way.

Having a legit big center is great....I don't miss the days of Lorenzo Williams.

I'm not sure if I buy the logic I have heard on the radio that Avery coaching helps Dampier more than Nellie.  I think having Avery around and playing such a big role has helped the defense.  I mean, even Dirk is playing decent defense.

Finley had just gotten too far away from his game.  He had become an almost pure jump shooter, when he earned his contract by slashing to the rim and throwing it down.  It's good that he has added the jump shot over the years, but Nellie needed to call him out on that and I guess it worked.

Why do you give Nellie credit for calling out Finley, but not Johnson for calling out Dampier?

I didn't know he went public with it like Nellie did with Finley.

If he did, then this is the first I have heard of it.

I have just been hearing on the radio that Avery's coaching style fits the big man better, I'm not sure I buy that. I think the Mavs are pretty balanced this year with Nellie, going inside out a lot more often.

Another good win for the Mavs against Phoenix on the road. That makes for a 4-0 West Coast road swing heading into the all-star break. It's even more impressive considering they were without Dampier, Stack, and still Daniels.

Finley was amazing, and Josh Howard is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. I look for a strong finish to the season and a good playoff run if everyone can get and stay healthy.