Jersey Retiring

jym

We discussed this before, but I got confirmation yesterday that they will NOT be retiring #44 and #25 on February 12th. I told you all that they were because that's what I was told a few months ago, but they decided against it once again. The reason I was given is that they've spent all of their time and resources preparing for the conference tournament and, since they didn't have time to do it right, they decided not to do it at all. Just FYI for those involved in the discussion before.

How much time, effort and resources does it take to retire a jersey?

Maybe you give the players a framed jersey, and have one hanging in the Pit.....and invite their families up for the ceremony.

Doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to do. I'm sorry Jalie, that you and Rosalind aren't being recognized this year.

SUMG

Well, the story is that Coach Slinker really has been trying to get them to do it but they're just not listening. I think the consensus is that it's just not really a priority in the front office right now.

Thanks SUMG.....I think Roz and I both have pretty much put a lid on our excitement since this has happened 3 years in a row now. Hopefully one day someone will make it happen. Until then.....

I would be in for giving. Those girls got me interested in women's b-ball and I followed them all the way up to Stillwater for the first round Women's NIT (bad loss to OSU in the first round - but they had SERIOUS home court advantage, lol) That trip was ...errr... a lot of fun, Stillwater is a cool place and much different from the rest of Oklahoma... not as nice as Tulsa, but at least the people don't creep you out there like most of the state (where I always feel like I am in the Twilight Zone)...

Anyways, I buy the excuse that they want to do it right. There are going to be a lot of people "judging" NT that night/weekend. These presentations are never easily executed (see the Ron Maestri Invitassssshhhhiiioooonnnnn to the NO Bowl in 2003) - and with the conference having ALL schools play (with some games being played in the Pit and others being played at TWU) - it is difficult to do. It also might be against SunBelt Conference Rules. While the site is not neutral, the school has to act like it is. And you can bet that the losers bracket women's games will be played over at TWU. It would be even more wierd/embarrasing to have them retire the two jerseys during the middle of a UNO/South Alabama Women's game because the North Texas women had already been moved into the losers bracket due to an early loss (quite possible this year)... it would be a disservice to the true fans of the Lady Mean Green (sorry Jalie, that is what the team is called now, lol). So NT is kind of in a lose lose situation with this one... if they do it too earfly in the tourney to assue it will be in the Pit, then all your friends might not be able to make it because it will be on a Thursday. However, if they wait for the weekend, they stand the chance of retiring the jersey over at TWU or in front of a bunch of forein fans from other schools (if the conference will even allow it to happen)... So I can't fault them for not doing it during the Sun Belt Tourney. Your time will come, I think next year we have the Lady Longhorns coming to town - that would make for a great crowd to retire the jerseys and really get the team pumped UP for the season.

Steve, the ceremony was supposed to be on February 12. It's not supposed to be during the tournament. Our athletic department is saying that they can't have a ceremony on February 12, because they're too busy getting ready for the SBC tourney.

Also, I don't buy the excuse that they want to do it right. Hey, the two gals last season was three years ago. You get to the point where the whole thing loses a lot of impact when it's 4-5 years after their last game.

By the time, the athletic department gets around to having the ceremony, there won't even be any players still on the team, that played with Jalie and Roz.

The cost associated with this can't be too much.  How about a fundraising effort by gmg.com?

I have been all for that for about 11 months, but it looks like there would be 3-4 of us that actually care, and one is dead broke. If there was enough interest I would do what I can to help organize it.

This is really a shame that they are messing around two of the best players ever at this University like that. You don't promise someone something like that, wait a couple of years to get around to it, give them a date, and then two weeks before call it off. Now that we have established that the SBC tourney is not on Feb. 12, we can all agree that's not an appropriate way to treat those two distinguished alumni...I hope.

I have been all for that for about 11 months, but it looks like there would be 3-4 of us that actually care, and one is dead broke. If there was enough interest I would do what I can to help organize it.

This is really a shame that they are messing around two of the best players ever at this University like that. You don't promise someone something like that, wait a couple of years to get around to it, give them a date, and then two weeks before call it off. Now that we have established that the SBC tourney is not on Feb. 12, we can all agree that's not an appropriate way to treat those two distinguished alumni...I hope.

If it were a couple of football players that needed money raised to have their jerseys retired, this board would be going haywire trying to raise the money needed.

Honestly, it doesn't even matter. If the AD cared enough to follow on their word, they would have done it. Even if the money was raised, it has been proven by past events, that doesn't assure the project of being done.

I am just amazed that Jalie isn't letting this damper her enthusiasm about her career here and her involvement with the program. I can't say I would handle being messed around like that with the same poise.

Edited by Coach

That's a good question, but I honestly don't think cost is the issue. I've heard that people have already donated money for the cause, but they just haven't taken the time to do it. I'm not sure what the real reason (or excuse) is but I think it will take several people asking about it or complaining, and those complaints getting to the right people.