Defending Randy Moss' moonshot

Don't get me wrong here....I think Randy Moss is a punk. His incident of almost running over the parking meter cop in Minneapolis, going to the dressing room during the Vikes final regular season game when time was still on the clock, and numerous other incidents prove that he's a punk.

And, when I first saw him "moon" the Green Bay fans, I thought, "What an ***hole". (He didn't really moon their fans, for those who didn't see it.....after a score he just pantomimed dropping his pants and bending over).

But today, Tony Dungy (who I really respect), said that he thought Moss' moonshot was "humorous."

And the kicker.....according to Dungy, "Green Bay fans have a tradition of mooning the visiting team's bus."

To me, that's a pretty funny (and basically harmless) tradition.

So, now that I know what Moss did, and the context in which he did it........I'll give him a pass on the incident last Sunday.

And two......can't wait until our opening home game next year......cause I'm droppin' trou, baby!

Odd that this "tradition" has never been mentioned before, or that none of my friends in Green Bay have ever heard of it.

Then tell that to Tony Dungy. He's the one who was quoted in today's DMN, commenting on the situation. I don't know if it's a tradition or not....I have never heard of it either. But, I also know of no reason for the coach of the Indianapolis Colts to make up something to defend a player, who isn't even on his team.

Edited by SUMG

Please tell me you are not defending his actions? He is classless and his act is classless along with Terrell Owens and all the other prima donnas that have absolutely no respect for anyone or anthing.

I don't like Randy Moss like much of you on here, but I don't see anything wrong about what he did. Sure it might have been a little tasteless, but I don't think he should get fined for it. Seems as though the NFL has been for years trying to kill TD celebrations and trick plays(with the Steelers a few years ago).

The NFL has gone so far overboard since the Janet Jackson incident, that it is ridiculous. They first had a Canipshun fit about the Nicolette Sheridan promo with Terrell Owens and now the Randy Moss "mooning."

Earth to the NFL: The JJ incident involved actual (albeit brief) nudity. The second two, didn't. Big diff.

Edited by SUMG

The NFL has gone so far overboard since the Janet Jackson incident, that it is ridiculous. They first had a Canipshun fit about the Nicolette Sheridan promo with Terrell Owens and now the Randy Moss "mooning."

Earth to the NFL: The JJ incident involved actual (albeit brief) nudity. The second two, didn't.  Big diff.

brief unless you had TIVO! laugh.gifbiggrin.gifph34r.gif

Then tell that to Tony Dungy. He's the one who was quoted in today's DMN, commenting on the situation. I don't know if it's a tradition or not....I have never heard of it either. But, I also know of no reason for the coach of the Indianapolis Colts to make up something to defend a player, who isn't even on his team.

After the game, Moss said something to the effect of "they knew why I did it", and that is what he was referring to. Dungy said that the next day on a radio show that he knew why he did it to, the "tradition". Dungy isn't someone making excuses for NFL players in controversy either, he ripped Owens up after the MNF incident.

Dungy's making excuses here.

He wanted to moon the Green Bay fans, he mooned a National TV audience. Doesn't matter which way he's facing when he's on camera. It's the same as flipping the bird or grabbing your crotch - an obscene gesture.

Anyway, coaching has changed a lot from when I was a kid. The business of entertainment has all but eroded sportsmanship.

Dungy did not make excuses for Moss, he said he knew why he did, and the reason is the moon tradition. Moss is a punk so he sunk to their level (almost, he left his pants on). The proof that Dungy doesn't make excuses like that is when he took Owens to task. Because your friends didn't know about it doesn't mean Dungy lied to cover for Moss. Using the below quote, I guess Tice lied too. It must be a coaching conspiracy to let Moss off the hook and hold down Monkeypox's Green Bay friends...ph34r.gif

"Anyone who has played in the NFC Central (or North) knows what that's about. The fans in Green Bay have a tradition in the parking lot after the game where they moon the visiting team's bus. It's kind of a unique send-off."

Vikings coach Mike Tice said Monday he also has seen Packers fans do it in the past. Tice also took issue with some of the things fans behind the Vikings' bench yelled at his team.

"I always felt that Green Bay fans had a tremendous amount of class. I didn't see that displayed particularly often (Sunday)," Tice said. "Some of the things that I heard were unlike Green Bay fans, and maybe they weren't the normal season-ticket holders. I don't know."

Edited by Coach

randy moss is not good enough for any team to put up with his s@$t. no player is that good

I think there are about 32 NFL GMs who would disagree with you about that.

People are talking about this like he actually pulled down his pants and mooned the Green Bay fans.

He was a defensive coordinator for Minnesota and a coach at Tamp Bay. He only played for the Steelers and 49ers. He also went to the University of Minnesota. He never mentioned this tradition at any time before now.

Maybe if I heard from any of the other NFC Central teams that this was going on, but it's never come up. In decades, it's never been brought up by the media. I'm saying I find it odd.

Even if there were this mystery tradition, I don't give a flying monkey's butt what fans do outside of the stadium, it does not excuse Moss's actions in the game, and Dungy's comments serve no other apparent purpose.

All his comments on Terrell Owens show is that he's inconsistent.

What Moss did was distasteful, I'm not arguing that point. I am just saying that because your Green Bay friends don't do it, doesn't mean that Tony Dungy is a liar.

I was listening to 103.3 a few weeks ago when the Cowboys played at Philly. It was several hours before game time and the correspondent that 103.3 had called in with the inactives and everything like that. She then said that when she was on the media chartered bus, that followed behind the team's charter, drove around the stadium, the Philly fans were lined up at the fence mooning them. She was very taken aback by it and the hosts in the studio just laughed and made your usual Philly fan jokes (they booed Santa, ect.). So, I think it probably happens at more than just Green Bay, and that Dungy did not lie. I have only been to Cowboys games and there isn't parking good enough to moon the team bus if you wanted to there, so I don't know about any other venues. Randy Moss just took it in an immature fashion and "paid them back", which sadly is the mentality of too many people-not just athletes-these days. I don't think Dungy concieved that to cover for Moss, I think that is what Moss was referring to when he said "they know why", and it probably happens at more places than Green Bay (like Philly, and probably others).

He may or may not be a liar. I'm not going to defend people for mooning, but the only evidence I have is the footage from the game.

What does that mean. Well, in a logical sense, the Packer fans' mooning will go down in the books as alleged, while Moss's obscene gesture (for which he was appropriately fined the same as Jake Plummer) and Dungy's "I found it humorous" defense are out there for everyone to see.

Supposedly, Packer fans have been mooning opponents for decades, and it never affected anyone outside of Wisconsin, until now. you can thank Moss, and yes, Dungy, for that.

And for the record, my Green Bay friends are proud of all the disgusting and distasteful things they do outside Lambeau, and their claim is not that they don't take part in the mooning, but that they would, if they had ever heard of it.

Edited by Monkeypox

Well, if you remember, Tony Dungy was the coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for many seasons. And those seasons when he was the Bucs' coach........they were in the NFC Central with Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota and yes, Green Bay.

So Coach Dungy may know what the heck he's talking about it.

BTW.........after I finish typing this, I'm going to bend over and moon Monkey Pox (wherever he is).

It's a tradition I just started.

Well, if you remember, Tony Dungy was the coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for many seasons. And those seasons when he was the Bucs' coach........they were in the NFC Central with Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota and yes, Green Bay.

So Coach Dungy may know what the heck he's talking about it.

Well aware of Dungy's past career.

So it could be that he knows what he's talking about, or it could be that he's got an H-O for Brett Favr, or it could be that he's a Minnesota homer. He never mentioned the gratuitous mooning traditions back in the day. But, then again, he probably found them "humorous."

From The Miwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Green Bay Police Capt. Lisa Sterr said she had never heard of fans mooning players near team buses.

“And even if they did, they would be arrested immediately for either disorderly conduct or lewd and lascivious behavior,” she said.

Sterr said 16 people were arrested Sunday at the game, most of them for alcohol-related offenses.

Monkey, the guy didn't try to eat your baby for goodness sakes. He didn't even pull down his pants.

I'm not saying he did. He did, as I stated, the equivalent of flipping someone the bird or grabbing your crotch, and was fined appropriately.

All I've done is say he shouldn't be defended, especially based on a 'tradition' that no one's ever heard of.

Monkey, the guy didn't try to eat your baby for goodness sakes. He didn't even pull down his pants.

No, but I think we can all agree, that if Randy Moss did ever try to eat someone's baby.........that is going way over the line. Way over.

Can we agree?

No, but I think we can all agree, that if Randy Moss did ever try to eat someone's baby.........that is going way over the line. Way over.

Can we agree?

I guess it depends on if there's a baby-eating tradition at Lambeau. Cause if there is, then I guess it's okay.

So, to find out...

Step 1) Ask Tony Dungy

Can we agree?

Wait, what if Randy Moss went back in time and tried to eat baby Hitler? Would that be ok?

Monkeypox, what if Moss mooned Fidel Castro? Would that be a good or bad thing?