Lesser Reasons for Transferring

NT93

We all know the major reasons we assume are part of the decision for a player to transfer:  NIL, “step up” in conference, more playing time, etc.  But what are some of the other reasons?  I’ll list a few I think are true.  Please add your own, disagree, etc. Would really like to hear from someone with inside knowledge.  

1) Technology/Social media:  Kids today are simply more connected and the world is smaller.  As an example, we moved when my son was in 8th grade (he’s 20 now), but a couple of his junior high friends are still some of his best friends.  My point being, kids can easily stay in contact with friends/former high school or AAU teammates who might influence their decision.  

2) Upbringing/Attitude:  things are just different now.  From the time these kids are 3rd-4th grade, they are on travel teams and are being recruited to move up to a better team.  I don’t intend for this to sound like grumpy old man, but there really is less loyalty/commitment these days (and not just as it relates to sports teams).  I went to a 3A high school who was bad on football.  A nearby 4A school won state my senior year.  Had things been then as they are now, I probably would have transferred to the 4A school because I loved the sport and I was a decent high school player.  As it was, I wasn’t about to leave my friends/teammates.  Could transferring to the 4A school possibly have led to a scholarship?  Maybe, but I never questioned my decision.  

I  hate the portal and I hate NIL, but I’m trying my best to look at it from the perspective of today’s 20 year old and I think there is more to it than is obvious.  

• Upvote 1

I'd add that they see it modeled that you move on when you have a "better opportunity" even if they're only at a school a year or two. It's what their coaches do, it's what the administrators at the schools do, etc. The days of coaches/ADs spending their entire career at just a few schools is pretty much over.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

It looks like unlimited transfers are going to be approved across all sports with no sitting out. The only condition will be that you cannot transfer mid-year in a sport and play for two schools in the same academic year. Supposedly, this will be tied to maintaining educational levels that are supposed to ensure the student is on the way to completing school. Total Bull Shit! Not one person, including presidents of universities, gives a crap whether or not these kids are graduating from school. We all bitch about the NCAA, but remember, the NCAA is controlled by the college presidents. I cannot wait till some of these kids who transfer 4 times in a five-year career start suing because they never got a degree.

TWO TERMS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE USED AGAIN

• Student-athlete
  • "For the good of the game"
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It looks like unlimited transfers are going to be approved across all sports with no sitting out. The only condition will be that you cannot transfer mid-year in a sport and play for two schools in the same academic year. Supposedly, this will be tied to maintaining educational levels that are supposed to ensure the student is on the way to completing school. Total Bull Shit! Not one person, including presidents of universities, gives a crap whether or not these kids are graduating from school. We all bitch about the NCAA, but remember, the NCAA is controlled by the college presidents. I cannot wait till some of these kids who transfer 4 times in a five-year career start suing because they never got a degree.

TWO TERMS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE USED AGAIN

• Student-athlete
  • "For the good of the game"

This decision was decided in the courthouse, not the NCAA, who has little power left.

• Upvote 1