Coaching Scheme Changes

Hookset

Last season was the “first” year of the “new NCAA”.
This is the new norm now. We can never think:

“Oh, this is a rebuilding year.”

”Give the coaches time to get their players.”

Every year from now on is a rebuilding year. Coaches don’t have time to develop players or wait until they get better players to run the scheme they prefer.

Coaches need to be more flexible and run a scheme that is best for the players on the team this season. No team should ever run a scheme with players that don’t fit it (Caponi). 
Every year the roster will be different. Coaches will have to adjust accordingly and quickly.

This is college football now. Like it or not…

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

46 minutes ago, Hookset said:

This is the new norm now. We can never think:

Every year from now on is a rebuilding year. Coaches don’t have time to develop players or wait until they get better players to run the scheme they prefer.

Coaches need to be more flexible and run a scheme that is best for the players on the team this season. No team should ever run a scheme with players that don’t fit it (Caponi). 
Every year the roster will be different. Coaches will have to adjust accordingly and quickly.

This is college football now. Like it or not…

Changing 15 of 22 starters every year is not sustainable for continuity in most programs, unless you're an Alabama or Michigan type program.

But we can reduce the defections each year by recruiting smartly.  Players get one non-sit transfer as an undergrad and one as a grad student. 

We should focus then on recruiting portal redshirt freshman and sophomores.  They are more mature than true freshman.  They are also already used to the college environment and game speed, and will have used up their not-sit transfer to UNT.  They are set here until they graduate.   

Edited by NT80

1 hour ago, Hookset said:

Has a coach ever had immediate success switching to a different scheme?  You rarely hear of that - I know I cannot think of one example.  But maybe it's out there.  I want to know about it, and how things went in year 1, when the coach didn't have much experience with it.

I think a side effect of this era is going to be simplification.  Since players and coaches don't see each other for more than 1 or 2 years, don't try and coach up something that takes 2+ years to fully grasp.  Keep it simple and get them to execute it better than the opponent executes theirs.  Coincidentally for us, this is where the Leach tree excels.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think a side effect of this era is going to be simplification.  Since players and coaches don't see each other for more than 1 or 2 years, don't try and coach up something that takes 2+ years to fully grasp.  Keep it simple and get them to execute it better than the opponent executes theirs.  Coincidentally for us, this is where the Leach tree excels.

I agree with the offensive side of the ball. 
The 3-3-5 is a complicated defensive scheme that does best when kids have a chance to “grow” into it as freshman/sophomores while watching junior/seniors run it.

We will never have that luxury again at UNT.

• Upvote 2