I'm a Morris supporter, but

Wag Tag

I was concerned with the DC and the 3-3-5. ISU had a 260lb LB they funneled everything to las t year, ours are 6' at 210lbs. This is a key position for this type of D. I would put Maz on the inside and run blitz 70% of the plays.

College football is changing quickly and the Deion effect has sped it up dramatically. We need to quit getting all excited about HS recruits. Morris needs to take his evaluation skills to the portal. The Texas State team has a lot of Morris recruits. He has proven he can see talent. It is going to be very hard for coaches to have a 3yr time period to rebuild. Wren's timing really hurt.

How do we physically develop players with a 5,000 sq ft weight room and rehab area used by all sports. We could all name HS facilities that are more substantial and up to date. Having bigger coaches offices, bigger common area or study hall area will not impact on field size , speed or rehabbing injuries. Move the scoreboard and build a large state of the art weight room and rehab area on the backside of the IPF and cut the budget ( raise needed) by half or more. Todays athlete wants to know how are you going to make me better and how much NIL do I get. (SMU) To still be pursuing palace type structures is a waste on a limited budget. 

If the twins would of stayed Seth would of had a better record and still be coach. A new issue that coaches are going to deal with.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

I was concerned with the DC and the 3-3-5. ISU had a 260lb LB they funneled everything to las t year, ours are 6' at 210lbs. This is a key position for this type of D. I would put Maz on the inside and run blitz 70% of the plays.

College football is changing quickly and the Deion effect has sped it up dramatically. We need to quit getting all excited about HS recruits. Morris needs to take his evaluation skills to the portal. The Texas State team has a lot of Morris recruits. He has proven he can see talent. It is going to be very hard for coaches to have a 3yr time period to rebuild. Wren's timing really hurt.

How do we physically develop players with a 5,000 sq ft weight room and rehab area used by all sports. We could all name HS facilities that are more substantial and up to date. Having bigger coaches offices, bigger common area or study hall area will not impact on field size , speed or rehabbing injuries. Move the scoreboard and build a large state of the art weight room and rehab area on the backside of the IPF and cut the budget ( raise needed) by half or more. Todays athlete wants to know how are you going to make me better and how much NIL do I get. (SMU) To still be pursuing palace type structures is a waste on a limited budget. 

If the twins would of stayed Seth would of had a better record and still be coach. A new issue that coaches are going to deal with.

He can see talent? He is starting a QB that can read defenses or go through progressions. He then brings in the back up and he reads the D, makes adjustments, goes through progression, and plays efficiently. But Morris can see talent? 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He can see talent? He is starting a QB that can read defenses or go through progressions. He then brings in the back up and he reads the D, makes adjustments, goes through progression, and plays efficiently. But Morris can see talent? 

Look at his history not just 2 games. He brought in one qb with only a very short period of time to recruit.

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Wag, you point to ISU’s LB at 260 and gets everything funneled to him. That is technically incorrect in the 3-3-5. That doesn’t work with a guard or puller always free with a 3 man front. In this scheme The LB’s are assigned to be gap fit and spill backers. The ISU backer at 260 usually filled the inside gap that the Nose did not. It also depends what blocking scheme the Offense is running regarding fit technique. In all reality this defense is built on the safeties being dudes that come downhill and fill on the run. At times last night we only had 4 in box and both outside backers were flexed in space making them gap fillers when the ends crashed down. The 3 high safeties and a nose that can 2-Gap makes or breaks this defense.  The whole concept is to confuse the o-line as to where are the defenders coming from. Everyone has a job and must be in sync. 
this defense scheme takes a lot of discipline and that is why it often fails. The 4-2-5 offers the safeties to play the pass a little better as they turn into a pass first responsibility. This is an issue with the scheme change. I have a background in this scheme and just sharing what I know. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Okiefan said:

Wag, you point to ISU’s LB at 260 and gets everything funneled to him. That is technically incorrect in the 3-3-5. That doesn’t work with a guard or puller always free with a 3 man front. In this scheme The LB’s are assigned to be gap fit and spill backers. The ISU backer at 260 usually filled the inside gap that the Nose did not. It also depends what blocking scheme the Offense is running regarding fit technique. In all reality this defense is built on the safeties being dudes that come downhill and fill on the run. At times last night we only had 4 in box and both outside backers were flexed in space making them gap fillers when the ends crashed down. The 3 high safeties and a nose that can 2-Gap makes or breaks this defense.  The whole concept is to confuse the o-line as to where are the defenders coming from. Everyone has a job and must be in sync. 
this defense scheme takes a lot of discipline and that is why it often fails. The 4-2-5 offers the safeties to play the pass a little better as they turn into a pass first responsibility. This is an issue with the scheme change. I have a background in this scheme and just sharing what I know. 

^ This Guy ^ knows what he is talking about.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

What I didn’t understand was why we consistently only put 5 in the box, even in run situations and after they and Cal had so much success against that. 

Because that is the only thing this DC seems to know.  It was obvious that after the Cal game tape got out it our defense would be non competitive.  Now there are 2 game tapes available.

30 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Because that is the only thing this DC seems to know.  It was obvious that after the Cal game tape got out it our defense would be non competitive.  Now there are 2 game tapes available.

Actually… it wasn’t, to many.   We kept hearing how awesome Cal is going to be this year.  Some going so far as to comparing it to the old body bag games we used to play against UT, OU, LSU, Bama, & GA…

But yeah, when FIU (who could only muster 14 pts against a FCS Maine team that only won 1 game last year) drops 46 on you, eyes start to open up.

• Upvote 2