Breaking News: Jalie Mitchell out as North Texas Coach

It's going to be real curious who this hire ends up being. There's a lot of potential with women's basketball. All of our sports have been elevated, and Jalie did it to some extent. We've seen with other programs around the country and in the WNBA that enthusiasm is building in women's sports

I could see the right hire elevating the program similar how DeLong has elevated softball

Edited by meanJewGreen
  • Upvote 2

On 3/23/2023 at 3:28 PM, meanJewGreen said:

It's going to be real curious who this hire ends up being. There's a lot of potential with women's basketball. All of our sports have been elevated, and Jalie did it to some extent. We've seen with other programs around the country and in the WNBA that enthusiasm is building in women's sports

I could see the right hire elevating the program similar how DeLong has elevated softball

Whomever it is, I hope they pay attention to the talent in our backyard.  

This is Janiah Allen-Taylor, 6-5A co-MVP who averaged 18 points and 6 boards for Denton Ryan.  Her mom is the former women’s coach for Denton High and current assistant principal at Ryan.  As I understand it, North Texas never even reached out.  

image.png.29fdc6e916c88836f46877d0c38d1332.png

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

41 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Whomever it is, I hope they pay attention to the talent in our backyard.  

This is Janiah Allen-Taylor, 6-5A co-MVP who averaged 18 points and 6 boards for Denton Ryan.  Her mom is the former women’s coach for Denton High and current assistant principal at Ryan.  As I understand it, North Texas never even reached out.  

image.png.29fdc6e916c88836f46877d0c38d1332.png

Where did she end up signing?

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

She’s going to Texas, but not to play ball.  

I am pretty sure she would have listened had we contacted her.  

So you think we screwed up because we didn’t recruit someone who isn’t even going to play college basketball? I get wanting to recruit locally, but the fact she’s not even playing in college tells me we didn’t miss anything. 

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

So you think we screwed up because we didn’t recruit someone who isn’t even going to play college basketball? I get wanting to recruit locally, but the fact she’s not even playing in college tells me we didn’t miss anything. 

Maybe you missed the Valedictorian sash around her neck.  This is a kid who could easily have contributed here, but basketball is far from her only path forward.  She could have CHOSEN to come here.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Maybe you mossed the Valedictorian sash around her neck.  This is a kid who could easily have contributed here, but basketball is far from her only path forward.  She could have CHOSEN to come here.  

Are you saying she turned down D1 offers because it was UNT or bust? 
Seems like she never had aspirations to play college ball or no one thought she was good enough. Either way, it’s nothing to criticize our program about. 

• Eye Roll 1

• Harry unpinned this topic