From ESPN.com

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks free agent guard Steve Nash reached a verbal agreement Thursday night to sign with the Phoenix Suns, ESPN.com's Marc Stein has learned.

Nash and agent Bill Duffy, according to league sources, received an offer from Phoenix on Thursday -- believed to be a five-year package worth more than $65 million with a partial guarantee for the sixth season -- and brought it back to the Mavericks.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban, sources said, declined to match the offer.

"It's exciting, but it's also a little bittersweet," Nash told ESPN.com. "I am really sad to leave my teammates, but I am glad to be going somewhere where they really wanted me."

According to sources, after giving the Suns a verbal commitment, Nash immediately phoned longtime teammates Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley to break the news.

Mavericks sources said Cuban was reluctant to give Nash more than a four-year guaranteed contract because of fears the 30-year-old couldn't physically handle no more than 32 minutes per game.

No deals can be formally signed until July 14, when the salary cap for next season is set. Teams and free agents can only reach verbal agreements during the league's two-week moratorium on signings and trades.

Nash had met with Cuban in Dallas on Wednesday morning and then was greeted by a traveling Suns delegation that included chairman Jerry Colangelo, son and team president Bryan Colangelo, new owner Robert Sarver and forward Amare Stoudemire, a client of Duffy's.

Wednesday, Duffy said, "It was a good meeting [with Cuban]. Mark made it very clear that re-signing Steve is a priority."

The Suns originally drafted Nash in 1996 and he never sold his home in the Phoenix area.

Bringing in Nash eliminates the Suns from the Kobe Bryant derby. On Wednesday night, it was reported that Phoenix was prepared to offer Bryant a six-year deal worth over $100 million.

I am really sad to leave my teammates, but I am glad to be going somewhere where they really wanted me.

OUCH. I wonder what has gone on behind the scenes to cause that line? The Mavs had Steve's agent in at 11:01 pm last night to get a deal, it seemed like they both wanted him to stay, but there is some resentment there.

I never thought that the big three would get broken up, amazing.

Seriously bad news. Yeah, he could only play 30-35 minutes a game, but when he was out there he was usually great. I mean how many games did he have last year where he had more than 10 assists? He wasn't exactly turnover prone either. Ah well, let's start growing Daniels and Harris if we keep him.

Guest e-bone

If Nash would have agreed to a 3 or 4 year deal to stay a Maverick, then I would be very happy. But 5 years is just too long for a 30 year old who plays the way he does.

Guest e-bone

Ah well, let's start growing Daniels and Harris if we keep him.

I think Harris is here for the long term now that Nash is gone. I think Daniels might be gone because someone is going to overpay him, and if Mark Cuban isn't going to pay Steve Nash, I don't think he is going to overpay to keep Daniels.

Guest e-bone

He is an all time Maverick great, it sucks to lose him, especially getting nothing in return.

That's what really hurts. I was afraid that he would sign elsewhere as a free agent, but I hoped that if the Mavs weren't going to keep him they could have gotten a sign and trade.

Mavs fans can kiss Shaq goodbye.

There is no way the Mavs can get him now. Even if the Lakers did agree to a trade with the Mavs for Shaq, there wouldn't be anyone of significance left on the Mavs for Shaq to play with.

Up to now, Mark Cuban has been a fairly shrewd owner. I still think he knows what he's doing, but this move is a bit puzzling. Yes, five years at 10 mil + per year might well be too much money to give to Nash, given his age and susceptibility to injury, but considering the downside of NOT signing him (no PG with real experience to run the offense, no compensation, no real chance for Shaq), it might end up costing the franchise more in the long run to let Nash go than it ever would have to re-sign him. I'm sure Cuban was aware of these consequences when he made his counter-offer to Nash. I just hope for Mavs fans sake that he's got some kind of master plan that covered this possibility.

It will be very interesting to see what the Mavs do now...

Nelly knows what the fans should know but refuse to accept. Nash is done as a playoff PG. He is old and by the playoffs looked worn down. Next years lineup will be Harris and Daniels @ Guard and the rest is up to who we get at center. It could be Finley/Howard @ Forward with Dirk @ Center or Finley/Dirk with Shaq @ center and howard off the bench.

Guest e-bone

Mavs fans can kiss Shaq goodbye.

There is no way the Mavs can get him now. Even if the Lakers did agree to a trade with the Mavs for Shaq, there wouldn't be anyone of significance left on the Mavs for Shaq to play with.

Up to now, Mark Cuban has been a fairly shrewd owner. I still think he knows what he's doing, but this move is a bit puzzling. Yes, five years at 10 mil + per year might well be too much money to give to Nash, given his age and susceptibility to injury, but considering the downside of NOT signing him (no PG with real experience to run the offense, no compensation, no real chance for Shaq), it might end up costing the franchise more in the long run to let Nash go than it ever would have to re-sign him. I'm sure Cuban was aware of these consequences when he made his counter-offer to Nash. I just hope for Mavs fans sake that he's got some kind of master plan that covered this possibility.

It will be very interesting to see what the Mavs do now...

The contract has been reported as $65+ over 5 years. If it is $65 million, then that comes out to be $13 million a season, but that is not how contracts work in pro sports, they are back loaded to save cap space now. Which probably means that when Nash is 35 in the last year of his contract, he is going to be getting around $20 million. Plus, I'm still wondering just how much that + sign is going to add to the figure.

So I really think that the Mavs not signing Nash helps in the long run, but not the short run. The last couple years of that 5 year contract would have handicapped the Mavs. I'm really surprised and happy that Cuban didn't give out another long term max contract. I would have liked to keep Nash for another 3 years, but 5 years is too long to give him, especially for that kind of money.

With the option on for the 6th year of Nash's new contract in Phoenix he looks to bring in close to $70 million. Chuck and Newy (man, it's good to hear them together again) just said that the best the Mavs could have done was about $50 million over 5 years. Nash never sold his house in Phoenix, and it's freakin' $20 million more! What player wouldn't have done that? He will be missed though...now my bobblehead is a "throwback." laugh.gif

If it is $65 million, then that comes out to be $13 million a season, but that is not how contracts work in pro sports, they are back loaded to save cap space now. Which probably means that when Nash is 35 in the last year of his contract, he is going to be getting around $20 million.

It's not so much that they are back-loaded, but that they already include the highest salary increases allowed by the league. But you are right, even $13 million is a lot to pay a 35-year-old point guard with Nash's history of injury, late-season fatigue, and disappearing in the playoffs.

I'm really surprised and happy that Cuban didn't give out another long term max contract. I would have liked to keep Nash for another 3 years, but 5 years is too long to give him, especially for that kind of money.

Considering how much money the Mavericks have committed to long-term deals in the past (like with those perennial NBA All-Stars, Shawn Bradley and Raef LaFrentz blink.gif ), I would have to agree.

Chuck and Newy (man, it's good to hear them together again)

Amen to that!!!

Nelly knows what the fans should know but refuse to accept.  Nash is done as a playoff PG.  He is old and by the playoffs looked worn down.  Next years lineup will be Harris and Daniels @ Guard and the rest is up to who we get at center.  It could be Finley/Howard @ Forward with Dirk @ Center or Finley/Dirk with Shaq @ center and howard off the bench.

What the fans should know AND accept is that Shaq is now out of reach. "Finley/Dirk with Shaq @ center"???? Just who would the Lakers accept from the Mavs for Shaq in order to make that scenario happen??? Finley and a bunch of salary-cap equalizers won't get the trade done.

The Lakers have made it clear that any offer from the Mavs for Shaq must include Dirk, which Mark Cuban and a considerable number of Mavs fans refuse to consider. At this point, with Nash gone, even if the Mavs caved in and included Dirk, would Shaq want to come to a Mavs team without Dirk AND Nash??? I don't think so. The Mavs lost a valuable bargaining chip when Nash agree to sign with Phoenix.

Shaq is now out of sight for the Mavs. If they are intent on developing the personnel they have now at point guard, the next prudent move for them would be to find a Karl Malone-type of forward or center, a no-nonsense defender and rebounder, who won't figure prominently in the offensive scheme.

Guest e-bone

I've been really afraid for a long time that we were going to lose Nash without getting something in return, and I was really hoping that Cuban could pull off some kind of sign and trade.

One thing we an offer the Lakers are a bunch of guys whose salaries are ending in a season, which would give them tons of cap space at the end of next season. I don't know if that is enough for them, though.

I really do not think the Mavs are done dealing. There a bunch of possibilites out there and I wouldn't be surprised if Cuban pulls off some kind of deal to get a Kenyon Martin. Plus, Dampier is a unrestricted FA, and from what I hear, the Mavs are hoping to get him.

I've said for three years, Kenyon Martin is the perfect guy for the Mavs. He is tough, mean, from Dallas, plays defense, runs the floor. He is perfect. The only thing is that someone will offer him the max. It would have to be a sign and trade with New Jersey...maybe they would take Walker so they can have that coming off the books this year. That might work because that is throwing in the towel for next year, and the rumor is that Kidd is avaliable and that would be throwing in the towel for next year too.

Dampier would be a good fit too, I have liked him since he was a Pacer. Okur will be a bust for whoever opens their wallet for him.

Guest e-bone

I've been hearing a lot about the Nets looking to get rid of at least one huge contract. So that means that Kittles, Martin, and Kidd are available. If we didn't just draft a PG in the first round and sign Daniels for $40 I would want the Mavs to go after Kidd. But it would be awesome if we got Martin.