A Power Four Structure Seems Likely With Big 12 Left Out of Alliance Talks

Coach Andy Mac

54 minutes ago, Rudy said:

We all know that would never happen.  Those Big 12 leftovers would never make that step "down" as they'll put it.

Very probable--but losing $30 million dollars a year can make decisions more palatable than they ever were before. And, its very possible/probable the SBCUSA teams I listed wouldn't even get a sniff from these Big XII leftovers. But again, cutting travel costs becomes even more important when you have lost $30 million in revenue because the mama cows left and their enormous teats are nowhere to be found. 

Trust me, as someone who completely expects nothing but the worst to occur to us when it comes to conference affiliation, I fully am prepared for a Big XII/AAC/CUSA/SBC realignment that somehow sees us get left out or behind. And if I have to watch UTSA and La Tech jump ahead of us in all of this, that might be the most bitter pill I've had to deal with as a UNT fan, since 1990 when I started following the program. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2021 at 9:24 AM, untjim1995 said:

I think what Baylor and TCU would prefer, if left out of the true power conferences, they would be like BYU and become quasi-power in their own minds. If you are private, have lots of money, and can tap into some church leadership, the reality is that independence COULD work. 

Problem is that their alumni base (for Baylor or TCU) is probably a third of what BYU has. BYU currently has twice as many students as Baylor and three times as many as TCU

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Problem is that their alumni base (for Baylor or TCU) is probably a third of what BYU has. BYU currently has twice as many students as Baylor and three times as many as TCU

Sounds like Baylor and TCU need to invest in some bicycles and hit the streets.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

If the  model is a Nat’l Assoc being coast to coast it should work for G5’s. You could keep your Conf, but play other teams in the Assoc to help keep it more regional. Then have a playoff and a National Championship. I believe money games are slowly going to disappear as will the NCAA. 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1