Reluctance To Play Redshirt Freshmen

BillySee58

Interesting article here from MeanGreen 247. 247 sports rates all teams in the nation based on the ratings that everyone on their roster has as recruits. We are ranked 82nd in the country and 6th in CUSA. This should go up as the guys who weren’t as highly rated make room for incoming freshmen who are more highly rated.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-Texas-Mean-GReen-football-247Sports-team-talent-composite-Where-does-UNT-rank-152933481/

But the interesting takeaway was that only 5 of our top 33 players, in terms of recruiting rating, are starting or seeing frequent playing time. The vast majority of those top 33 players are from the 2019 and 2020 classes. We’re getting about as good a contribution from our true freshmen as you would hope (Stout, Tashoyn Johnson, Jake Roberts) but to me the disappointing thing is the redshirt freshmen. They have been here a year to develop, they know the plays, they know the schemes. Why are so many of these highly rated guys stuck behind guys who weren’t highly recruited? 

I get that the best recruits aren’t always your best players, but I can’t help but wonder if we have more talented options than the ones we are going with.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Interesting article here from MeanGreen 247. 247 sports rates all teams in the nation based on the ratings that everyone on their roster has as recruits. We are ranked 82nd in the country and 6th in CUSA. This should go up as the guys who weren’t as highly rated make room for incoming freshmen who are more highly rated.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-Texas-Mean-GReen-football-247Sports-team-talent-composite-Where-does-UNT-rank-152933481/

But the interesting takeaway was that only 5 of our top 33 players, in terms of recruiting rating, are starting or seeing frequent playing time. The vast majority of those top 33 players are from the 2019 and 2020 classes. We’re getting about as good a contribution from our true freshmen as you would hope (Stout, Tashoyn Johnson, Jake Roberts) but to me the disappointing thing is the redshirt freshmen. They have been here a year to develop, they know the plays, they know the schemes. Why are so many of these highly rated guys stuck behind guys who weren’t highly recruited? 

I get that the best recruits aren’t always your best players, but I can’t help but wonder if we have more talented options than the ones we are going with.

It seems to me, that Littrell has a big tendency to go with older players.  Not a good thing in what is obviously a rebuilding year.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

It seems to me, that Littrell has a big tendency to go with older players.  Not a good thing in what is obviously a rebuilding year.  

Yup. I think it was easier for him to play underclassmen over upperclassmen when it was his underclassmen playing over Mccarney’s upperclassmen. But these underclassmen should be guys who are capable of outplaying guys one or two years older. That was the way it looked when we recruited them.