I want to start a thread

Pierow 2

For those of you that experienced it last night, what exactly happened with the event staff? I want to know specifics as to what was said or done. I am going to make sure that RV sees this thread. I'll be calling him after a few good responses.

So have at it.

Edited by Pierow 2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that experienced it last night, what exactly happened with the event staff? I want to know specifics as to what was said or done. I am going to make sure that RV sees this thread.  I'll be calling him after a few good responses.

So have at it.

The incident was mostly targeted to our group. I talked to RV afterwards, and explained my concerns, and he was very understanding our them, but he did have to support the event staff.

The problem was this: We've now started sitting on that side of the Pit, and we keep getting more and more students over there, so they're bleeding into the non-student (visitors) section, which was *empty* last night. I can understand the need to have a set student section, but IMO, they should've treated us students a little better (dare I say it, they should be kissing up to us, so that we'll keep coming back, and bring friends!). If I understand it correctly, the student section on that side of the Pit is only the first section... RV explained that we're not supposed to have any of our students in the section closest to the opposing team's bench. He did hint however, that the second section was ok (b/c there are so many of us). But last night, we kept being told to go back down to the first section. I know that several of us were getting really frustrated... All we wanted to do was cheer on our MEAN GREEN, and watch basketball... Not fight over our seats. We've gotten a lot of credit from coaches/players lately for being loud and rambunctious at the games, and last night almost made me want to sit in the top of the student section, being completely mute, and sitting on my hands... (like most of our fans).

My advice to the Event Staff: Please don't berate the fans you have that are actually trying. I'm going to go as far as to say that our rowdy group was instrumental in getting people to stand up and scream during the last part of the game. Do you really want to break our spirit?!? blink.gif

On a happier note, I think Brook, JayDub, and myself got into the yearbook! cool.gif

Sticking the students in the corner doesn't win people over either. They moved (or took away a section, not sure which) the student section over one, so that already has some people a little mad. I know that there are people that pay good money for the seats they have, but when you see so many empty seats all the time and you're forced to sit some place where the angles aren't as good (behind the basket), it really does rub people the wrong way.

I'd pull up the seating chart to see whether the students were in the right or wrong, but the link is bad (email sent, hopefully will be corrected soon).

Edited by UNTFan23

Just have a bunch of students sit in that section and ignore the event staff when they start crying. They can't forcefully move a large group of people, especially when there is no obvious reason to do so.

I'm not a student and I have reserved seats by the press seats. I do feel the students need to be given a larger section(s). But I don't think athletic officials want them standing and yelling behind the floor seat donors either, and I believe it's against league rules to have them behind the opponents bench.

I don't want our students to be compared to SMU's classless fans that just heckle the bench, it's better to make loud noise to confuse the players on the floor anyway. Smart fans know when and who to make noise to!

Maybe the band could be moved to the opposite end of the arena since the cheerleaders are down there too, when they come (did they have a good reason to miss it?). That would free up another student section. We need more students at the games, and alums, and must work to keep all happy. smile.gif

If there are better seats available after the start of the game the event staff should have no business telling people where to sit. the same thing happened to me at the baylor game. I had some freinds that had student tickets and we had to sit in the crappy stundent section b/c the staff wouldnt let them sit with us when there were plenty of front row ish seats available. they are more than welcome to direct people but untill there is need to have assigned seating, ie more people comming, they should be happy to see us there at all. and whether I like the event staff or not GMG!!

Honestly, rules are rules.  I think the event staff handled it the best they could.  With the state that some of the NT athletes that were there were in, you had to be very careful.  So, I think they did the best they could. They have rules, and yes, we did know them and broke them.

GMG!!!

That's what we are trying to say. The rules are stupid and lame. If we were putting 3k or 4k in the SuperPit every game then there should be a strict student section so the people who paid for tickets can have a good seat. Otherwise let the students have a little more freedom and let them enjoy the game.

I believe it's against league rules to have them behind the opponents bench.

Bingo!

Right after RV was hired I emailed him saying that the student section should be behind the visitors bench to make the trip to the Pit a real away game for them rather than have their parents right behind them making them feel comfortable. He told me that he agreed wholeheartedly (who wouldn't like that idea?), but that Sun Belt Conference rules are that so many rows or so many feet behind the visitors bench has to be saved for their fans (comp tickets).

While I agree it seems very silly to move the student section over further in the corner as they did this year (and they did without a doubt, the seat I sat in most games last year would now bring a swarm of event staff if I sat there), I would like to know the reasoning behind this.

Also, if Mr. Villareal gets the chance to read this, on the topic of event staff...

My dad is an alum of the University and has lived and breathed basketball his whole life. He loves to go to games when he gets the chance to, and he comes decked out in green. However, now he has to be talked into going to games because at a scarcely attended game this season, he was asked and hasseled by several event staff about where his ticket seat was. He bought an upper level ticket and sat on the top row of the lower level that was almost empty. Apparently one of the event staff made him move. The seats remained empty.

This is the kind of thing that drives away the fans we are trying to bring in.

If it seemed like the Pit will be packed (it will be a great day), he said he could see why they did that. But this section was empty, and he-just like any of us-would move with no complaint if the actual ticket holder for that game asked him to move.

If this was the Mavericks and Lakers, these actions would be necessary, but in the meantime they are not necessary. They only serve to irritate, make uncomfortable, and therefore make less likely to come back so many casual fans (who will NOT continue to come no matter what the circumstances like those on this board).

If you read this Mr. Villareal, I know that you have the fan and consumer in mind and will make any actions you see neccessary. You have turned around the whole attitude of our fan base and campus, and I am thankful for that.

Aaron Switzer

Senior

They finally put the seating chart up for the Super Pit, and here it is

http://www.unt.edu/mgathletics/GOG/facilit...ram%2003-04.jpg

I thought it was the first two sections on that side... I understood (for the most part) about the 3rd section. But we were even being told to move from the second. Thank you for posting the link.

BTW, nice post, Aaron.

Honestly, rules are rules.  I think the event staff handled it the best they could.  With the state that some of the NT athletes that were there were in, you had to be very careful.  So, I think they did the best they could. They have rules, and yes, we did know them and broke them.

GMG!!!

No offense, but blindly following retarded regulations just makes you a retard. Many times...not all the time, but many times the event staff need to feel full of themselves. If there is bad language, fighting, threatening gestures or actions, then they should intervene. Otherwise, shut up and let the fans yell. Students especially need to be not just allowed to make as much trouble or wreak havok with the other team, it SHOULD be encouraged. I have about had my fill of the mamby-pamby, semi, sort of, kinda, pseudo, maybe fans. I enjoy being with the involved participants. Tell me that Michigan's, Duke's, or Kentucky's fans just sit there and try not to upset the other team or their fans. Give me a break. Fouls in those arenas aren't just reserved for the court...

Keep fighting THE MAN, baby.

I believe it's against league rules to have them behind the opponents bench. 

Why exactly is that? Because it is distracting to the other team? What about the fans at Duke who fill the place and are crazy no matter who they are or where they are sitting? I mean, by not having students there, what does that accomplish? What is the goal of that rule? What's it's purpose?

Why exactly is that? Because it is distracting to the other team? What about the fans at Duke who fill the place and are crazy no matter who they are or where they are sitting? I mean, by not having students there, what does that accomplish? What is the goal of that rule? What's it's purpose?

It's a conference rule Erin, I'm not sure on the policy at Duke, but we turned them down when they applied for Sun Belt membership despite their pleading.

The SBC rule is probably like that so that it will be uniform across the league where the opposing team's comp tickets will be.

It's a conference rule Erin, I'm not sure on the policy at Duke, but we turned them down when they applied for Sun Belt membership despite their pleading.

I think I remember that. Something about their teams being consistently bad and their fans not showing up and particiapting much. They really took it hard. laugh.gif

Although I have been a football season ticket holder for several years Ihave not been back for a basketball game for several years. I do follow the team and sit in my car to hear the games. I live in Ellis County and it is a bit far toget to Denton and back home when you have to go to worjk the next morning.

I had actually planned to see the USA game this Saturday. After reading the comments above I viewed the seating chart and could not believe the students were put in the end zone.

I attend NT from 60-64 and we filled the Men's gym and made the visiting teams (very good Mo Valley Conference) quite uncomfortable. We always complain about lack of support from the student body. I can not say I blame them after seeing the chart. The students are the school but are being treated as second class. When the arena is only 20% full why put our primary source of fans (who do pay a fee for these game) in the worst seats.

Most teams like to have fans that aid the atmosphere and spurs the team on (see our football team). Why do we only want to inspire our team and distract the opponent's at one end of the court.

Randy

I admit I'm always a bit amused when the staff checks my tickets when there are maybe 1500 people in a 10K arena, but if that's their gig God bless 'em I guess. I also find it kind of strange that they guard those sections like they are gold, however anyone can enter through the tunnel that leads to the floor. I've never been stopped coming through those doors or walking into the arena from there. cool.gif

The SBC rule is probably like that so that it will be uniform across the league where the opposing team's comp tickets will be.

Ok, so you'll have to excuse me for my stupidity when it comes to sports..... but what is the difference between a conference and a league?