Johnson to make debut with UNT against TCU

mhow2

Basketball: Johnson to make debut with UNT against TCU

08:39 AM CST on Saturday, December 13, 2003

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Shawnson Johnson will finally play his first game for the North Texas men’s basketball team Saturday.

The former junior college standout and Louisiana State player became eligible when his first-semester grades were posted this week.

Shawnson Johnson

He will take the floor when UNT faces TCU in a 7:05 p.m. game at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

"I am really excited about playing," Johnson said. "I have been waiting for this since I was in junior college."

Johnson has just one semester of eligibility remaining and will use it to try and help the Mean Green turn the corner under coach Johnny Jones. UNT (3-2) has won its last two games, including a 73-69 victory over Baylor on Tuesday.

Johnson could improve UNT’s chances of extending that streak. At 6-9, he gives the Mean Green another scoring threat near the basket and a defensive presence in the lane.

"Shawnson will give us added depth in the post," Jones said. "He has a lot of ability, but it could take him some time to get acclimated to playing in games."

Johnson appears to have the capability to make that transition quickly.

The senior played two seasons at Lee (Texas) Junior College, where he averaged 21 points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots a game. CBS Sportsline rated Johnson the seventh-best junior college player in the country before he signed with LSU.

Johnson played just three games with the Tigers before leaving the team. He averaged 5.3 points and seven rebounds a game, in addition to blocking seven shots and posting three steals.

Johnson arrived at UNT in January, a few months after he left LSU.

"It was a lot of hard work to get to this point," Johnson said.

Johnson will join a team that appears to be on its way up after a slow start. UNT lost two of its first three games before winning a pair at home, including its victory over a solid Baylor team.

Continuing its surge could be a challenge against TCU. The Horned Frogs (2-5) do not have an impressive record, but they hammered previously unbeaten Stephen F. Austin, 84-62, on Dec. 8, and then played Texas Tech close.

The Red Raiders beat TCU 67-60 on Wednesday.

A win over TCU would be another step forward for UNT, which posted a 7-21 record last season. The Mean Green has shown signs that it might quickly exceed its win total from last season, thanks in part to a balanced scoring attack.

Senior forward Michael DeGrate is averaging 10.2 points a game to lead UNT and is the team’s only player averaging double figures. The Mean Green has had a different player lead the team in scoring in each game this season and has nine players averaging at least 5.8 points a game.

Johnson is hoping to join UNT’s long list of contributors quickly and help the team continue its surge.

"We are going to be OK, but we have a lot of work to do," Johnson said. "I am going to play every game like it is my last."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870.

My hope is that over the next 2-4 weeks these guys become accustomed to playing with each other and become as good of a team as they can be.

JUCO to Div I is a big jump. Last year it took DeGrate several games before he showed what he could do. Mitchell and Mike Jones should get better each week.

Hopkins, Smith and Johnson are coming back from surgery. They still may need a few more weeks before they are 100%. Everyone is healthy now, but it takes awhile to get used to playing in games.

My prediction is that in a few weeks NT will have everyone playing up to their full ability, and playing with the frenetic intensity they showed the last 10 minutes of the NW Oklahoma St game and the last 36 minutes of the Baylor game. The result will be an above .500 finish in the Sun Belt.

I think Johnson will make a big difference, and Leonard and Will showed they are on their way to being factors again during the Baylor game.

John Franklin is also eligible tonight, so we can see if he can chip in some defense and quality minutes at the guard position.

I think the ingredients are there for a decent Sun Belt run, but they have to play well on the road, not just at home.