New year looms for Mean Green

Harry

J-Mychal Reese has seen his fair share of players during his college career that started at Texas A&M and will continue this season at North Texas. What he hasn’t seen is anyone quite like Jeremy Combs,

UNT’s sophomore forward with the wild, unkempt flattop and a propensity for dominating the paint. “I have never played with anyone who plays as hard every play as Jeremy,” Reese said. “Some of the moves he can make I have never seen before. He can get through little spaces and score.”

UNT’s hopes for a breakout season in the fourth year of the Tony Benford era will rest largely with the pairing of Combs and Reese, both from a leadership and production standpoint beginning Friday when the Mean Green host Jarvis Christian in their season-opener. Reese and Combs will give the Mean Green an inside-out duo Benford believes could be among the best in Conference USA. UNT will need them to live up to their billing and guide the way for a team with seven new scholarship players and a lot to prove after a 14-17 finish last season.

UNT was picked to finish eighth in Conference USA’s preseason coaches’ poll and is under pressure to break through after failing to crack the .500 mark in three straight seasons. “We need to take a step forward and I think we will,” Benford said. - See more at: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20151111-unt-basketball-new-year-looms-for-mean-green.ece#sthash.u6dzAfdq.dpuf