Convention center nears final approval in Denton

Harry

DENTON — It's one of the highest points in Denton. That's why it's called "The Hill."

It is feet from the football stadium at the University of North Texas, and not far from the convergence of Interstate highways 35W and 35E.

UNT owns the land, but if all goes as planned, the City of Denton will soon lease it and build a $25 million mid-sized convention center.

Private developers will build an adjoining $60 million hotel and restaurant complex.

"This is a prime location for the project," said Denton Assistant City Manager Jon Fortune.

Fortune said that property has been considered for years, but finally the timing, proposals, and partnerships seem right to move ahead with development.

Read more: http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Convention-center-nears-final-approval-in-Denton-270095111.html

"There used to be a hotel on this site and we're pretty much taking the same footprint of that hotel," he said. "It's going to be a little different shape, but the design is going to capitalize on keeping as much green space as we can, because that's an important element."

Let me make a preemptive statement regarding this point that might generate some grumbling/griping/bitching on the part of the denizens of the "the hill". It's been noted several times on this board that the aforementioned denizens of the hill (or the vast majority of them) are groups who come to the hill ONLY to party and not attend the football game. Should any of those people start grumbling about any of the hill that might be lost to this project, I have this to

say...........SHUT THE HELL UP!

• Downvote 2

"There used to be a hotel on this site and we're pretty much taking the same footprint of that hotel," he said. "It's going to be a little different shape, but the design is going to capitalize on keeping as much green space as we can, because that's an important element."

Let me make a preemptive statement regarding this point that might generate some grumbling/griping/bitching on the part of the denizens of the "the hill". It's been noted several times on this board that the aforementioned denizens of the hill (or the vast majority of them) are groups who come to the hill ONLY to party and not attend the football game. Should any of those people start grumbling about any of the hill that might be lost to this project, I have this to

say...........SHUT THE HELL UP!

I concur. I've only been to maybe one game a year at the new stadium (sucks to live so far away) but even I noticed those on the hill didn't seem to come into the game.

• Upvote 1