UNT Spring Prospectus Now Available (Link)

Looking at the depth chart it seems to be a few battles that may change in the Fall, or within the first few games. When there is an "or" by a player's name, I assume there will still be competition at that spot.

The obvious one is McNulty or Greer.

Looks like Erick Evans is solid at #2 for now, but the #3 is pegram or Rollins.

Wr I found interesting. I thought kidsy had his position on lock, but he is listed as the #1 or Carl Caldwell. Caldwell had a nice spring game.

LT has Antonio Johnson starting or Ryan renfro. I would assume at minimum, renfro will be in a rotation and get some valuable experience for the 2015 season when he can start.

Another surprise was #2 DT. Sid moore is listed as #2 behind Lincoln. Sid's name has been mentioned in a positive way several times this offseason. Seems he will still have comp with Andy flusche. As much as they raved about moore, they must really like flusche a lot too. I expect both guys to be in the mix at DT.

I also thought Ellis had at olb on lock, but looks like Jamal Marshall is still in the mix and the battle will continue. Either way, I like the speed that both bring at that spot.

Whitfield is the starting corner or jjones is the #2.

there were rumors that it was going to be a battle for that spot, even before jjones hospital visit. I would not be surprised if whit is the starter and jjones is the nickel. Jjones us going to have to take that spot again.

Warner is the starter at fs or Sheldon wade. People have asked about wade on here, but there is not much info. He seems to be in the mix though. Wonder why zed cant move to free safety?

Good battles to look out for.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1

My impression of the defensive two deep is it is both small and quick. Probably the fastest team we have fielded in terms of raw speed and quickness ever? But also one of the smaller front 7's I can recall going back to the Simon days.

I think that the NCAA is trending more towards speed over size at the defensive line positions but teams like UT will have both.

We saw against Georgia that we could hang for about 3 quarters against the top talent and depth teams. We won't have the special teams luxury of Brelan Chancellor this season... so the offense is going to have to produce. If they don't -- we will see a smashmouth running game combined with play action from every single opponent.

The position I am watching the most closely is the inside tackle technique, namely Austin Orr and Dutton Watson. We don't need those guys to be stars -- just solid/consistent and healthy. We know what Linc. and Mason can do. Dilonga has good size and is coming on. Jerrian Roberts played a lot of football last year on a good team.

If Orr or Watson struggle or get injured at the inside DT position we're up shit creek in the middle of the defense and will have to move guys around and weaken other positional depth to compensate. I just hope my boy TJ Tauaalo works his ass of this summer because we could use another body there.

My impression of the defensive two deep is it is both small and quick. Probably the fastest team we have fielded in terms of raw speed and quickness ever? But also one of the smaller front 7's I can recall going back to the Simon days.

I think that the NCAA is trending more towards speed over size at the defensive line positions but teams like UT will have both.

We saw against Georgia that we could hang for about 3 quarters against the top talent and depth teams. We won't have the special teams luxury of Brelan Chancellor this season... so the offense is going to have to produce. If they don't -- we will see a smashmouth running game combined with play action from every single opponent.

The position I am watching the most closely is the inside tackle technique, namely Austin Orr and Dutton Watson. We don't need those guys to be stars -- just solid/consistent and healthy. We know what Linc. and Mason can do. Dilonga has good size and is coming on. Jerrian Roberts played a lot of football last year on a good team.

If Orr or Watson struggle or get injured at the inside DT position we're up shit creek in the middle of the defense and will have to move guys around and weaken other positional depth to compensate. I just hope my boy TJ Tauaalo works his ass of this summer because we could use another body there.

We dont have the 300lb DTs, but like you said, they will be quicker. We cant line up in the big conferences with that, but thats ok. We dont play in a big conference.

its best to look at our schedule, when evaluating the team instead of looking at all of college football or even local Texas teams.

USM, LaTech, rice, Indiana, utsa, SMU, run spread offenses. We dont play too many teams that can line up and just smash us. We use safeties to stop the run. Our issue is play action or movement that can freeze our safeties and lbs.

It would be great if we could slow down the run with the dline, but most mid majors have to mix it up to stop the run.

Looking at the depth chart it seems to be a few battles that may change in the Fall, or within the first few games. When there is an "or" by a player's name, I assume there will still be competition at that spot.

The obvious one is McNulty or Greer.

Looks like Erick Evans is solid at #2 for now, but the #3 is pegram or Rollins.

Wr I found interesting. I thought kidsy had his position on lock, but he is listed as the #1 or Carl Caldwell. Caldwell had a nice spring game.

LT has Antonio Johnson starting or Ryan renfro. I would assume at minimum, renfro will be in a rotation and get some valuable experience for the 2015 season when he can start.

Another surprise was #2 DT. Sid moore is listed as #2 behind Lincoln. Sid's name has been mentioned in a positive way several times this offseason. Seems he will still have comp with Andy flusche. As much as they raved about moore, they must really like flusche a lot too. I expect both guys to be in the mix at DT.

I also thought Ellis had at olb on lock, but looks like Jamal Marshall is still in the mix and the battle will continue. Either way, I like the speed that both bring at that spot.

Whitfield is the starting corner or jjones is the #2.

there were rumors that it was going to be a battle for that spot, even before jjones hospital visit. I would not be surprised if whit is the starter and jjones is the nickel. Jjones us going to have to take that spot again.

Warner is the starter at fs or Sheldon wade. People have asked about wade on here, but there is not much info. He seems to be in the mix though. Wonder why zed cant move to free safety?

Good battles to look out for.

Jones was head and shoulders better on the field against live competition last year. Whitfield struggles to adjust to the ball in flight and at reading the receiver's eyes.

If Jones is healthy and playing at last year's level, he SHOULD start.

Whitfield is a great 3rd corner in the nickel and good depth, but he shouldn't start ahead of Jones.

• Upvote 1

You should read the write-up. It conflicts with the depth chart. For example, Moore is a DE. Rentfro at the other tackle spot with Lemon back inside.

Moore played defensive tackle in the Spring game as I saw. I hope he can make the transition to defensive end - because he fits that better size wise - but he played tackle in all of the Spring practices I witnessed. He's going to be a really good player.