trilli vs. benford

THOR

Dickey was fired and then the regents over turned the decision. Why do you think Dickey and RV never got along after that?

Think about this for a second--the athletic director wanted to fire a guy who had coached at the school for 3.5 years and had compiled a record up to that point of 8 wins and 31 losses...and was told by the BOR that he wasn't to be fired. Again, knowing who would've done the hiring and how little we were paying, we probably would have made a horrible hire, but the bigger point is that the BOR of that time wouldn't allow a buyout of an extra year even though the coach had gone 8-31. That would never have happened anywhere else in the state at the FBS level.

Grand, you have followed UNT as long as most, and are very knowledgeable having attended most games (men and women) I can't question you at all. I would, however, clarify a couple of small points and I'll leave it at that. Trilli's big class of 12 or 13 was his 2nd year here. We can agree to disagree but I thought his actual 2nd class was better than anyone in Texas. In addition to Chris Davis and Dexter Tennell, he signed Deginald Erskin, Jamal Brown, Sam Funchess, Brandon Gilbert, Kenneth Mangrum and a few others. I know he didn't quality but Jamal Brown would have been the best point guard since Weasel Johnson. He was a big time player out of Dallas Skyline. Deginald Erskin, if you remember, left here and went to Texas; where he played a key role in their NCAA run. Brandon Gilbert (Asst HC At S. Grand Prairie) was a Juco 1st team All-Conference. One publication had him as POY) Anthony Jones was a very good player out of Port Arthur.

Not 100% sure but he did inherit Sean Riley (NBA prospect) and Chris Smith (All-Conference). He did run off Robert Washington (6-5 G Dallas Carter) Ed Harvey & Poo Davis (Louisiana) I think it was more a question of style than their inability to play. Robert Washington was a favorite of mine having been one of the top kids out of Dallas Carter; where he lead them to the State Semi's along with a starting PG at UT (Anthony Goode)

He signed the very next year Chris Jackson, Jason Miller and Shawn Mason. Granted Jackson and Mason didn't make it to Denton but they were highly recruited. Jackson ended up at New Mexico (or NM St) and was all-league. Mason was one of the top kids in New Mexico. Miller, as you recall, was our best post guy and transferred to OSU. The man could recruit. He was also the ace recruiter on UT's staff prior to coming here.

Maybe it was the tough schedule but I give the man credit for taking on the best, recruiting the best and trying to change the UNT culture at its most difficult time. I always appreciate guys for not playing a "don't fire the coach" schedule. We also can thank him for getting rid of those, as he would say, " UT orange seats" in the Pit)

On another topic:

Don't look now but Benford has passed JJ as the better coach! LSU goes into College Station and loses to A&M last night where Benford's Mean Green took the Aggies apart. JJ is 6-5 in conference and are not the same team away from Baton Rouge. (with superior talent)

I don't think we have any significant disagreement. Technically that class was his second but if I recall, Trilli didn't recruit anyone his first year because it was late in the process other than I think the Australian Anstey who had to set out a year. I don't think signing people that never make it to campus makes you a recruiter; Mason, Jackson, and J. Brown for instance.

Sean Riley transferred and never played for Trilli. I do think that some of the kids he ran off were as good as the ones he brought in: Robert Washington who was a top national 100 player at one time and Davis the pg for example. You are mixing years and cited players who were not highly recruited who became good players like Magrum. Trilli returned only two players from the squad he inherited Charles Williams and Chuck Thrash.

His real first class included Wes Allen, Michael Colter, Chris Davis, Deginald Erskin, Joe Ervin, Sam Funchess, Brandon Gilbert, Dominic Hardie, Kenneth Magrum, Willie Sanders, Dexter Tennell, Calvin Williams and I think maybe others. Interesting out of that group, only Chris Davis finished four years at NT. His second year included Kyle Crawford, Jason Miller and Unjel Masters. Later noted signings were Leonard Hopkins and Will Smith.

If you take Trilli's signees as a whole, I don't see a lot of stars. Chris Davis for sure; he was highly rated, could have gone to the ACC, and produced. Erkin as you noted, I think he could have set NT scoring records; but he was not highly recruited because of his size. Jason Miller could have had a good career at NT, but chose to try the big time were he was mostly a benchwarmer although on a good team. Trilli did hit on Miller, he signed early and had a very strong senior year. Hopkins if not injured in HS would have never been at NT.

We have a little difference view, but I am more in to reminiscing than opposed to your stance.

I don't think we have any significant disagreement. Technically that class was his second but if I recall, Trilli didn't recruit anyone his first year because it was late in the process other than I think the Australian Anstey who had to set out a year. I don't think signing people that never make it to campus makes you a recruiter; Mason, Jackson, and J. Brown for instance.

Sean Riley transferred and never played for Trilli. I do think that some of the kids he ran off were as good as the ones he brought in: Robert Washington who was a top national 100 player at one time and Davis the pg for example. You are mixing years and cited players who were not highly recruited who became good players like Magrum. Trilli returned only two players from the squad he inherited Charles Williams and Chuck Thrash.

His real first class included Wes Allen, Michael Colter, Chris Davis, Deginald Erskin, Joe Ervin, Sam Funchess, Brandon Gilbert, Dominic Hardie, Kenneth Magrum, Willie Sanders, Dexter Tennell, Calvin Williams and I think maybe others. Interesting out of that group, only Chris Davis finished four years at NT. His second year included Kyle Crawford, Jason Miller and Unjel Masters. Later noted signings were Leonard Hopkins and Will Smith.

If you take Trilli's signees as a whole, I don't see a lot of stars. Chris Davis for sure; he was highly rated, could have gone to the ACC, and produced. Erkin as you noted, I think he could have set NT scoring records; but he was not highly recruited because of his size. Jason Miller could have had a good career at NT, but chose to try the big time were he was mostly a benchwarmer although on a good team. Trilli did hit on Miller, he signed early and had a very strong senior year. Hopkins if not injured in HS would have never been at NT.

We have a little difference view, but I am more in to reminiscing than opposed to your stance.

Kenneth Mangrum played all four years...and while never a star, he was the sort of player who really helped you win games, especially with his willingness to defend anyone on the floor.

Also...an all-round good dude.

It would be interesting to wait and see how many conference games we win (cant imagine more than 2 more), take the conference record, and then see what OOC games you think Benford would have won with this team on any of the Trilli OOC schedules.

I would bet the records would look eerily similiar.

Benford is just smart enough to know he is a terrible coach and scheduled accordingly in OOC.