Our roster before/after signing day

BillySee58

We only have two spots left, according to Vito, in our upcoming signing class of 2014. This would give us 21 signees for the class, since we cannot sign 25 due to putting the walkons on scholarship that we have. We have 64 scholarship players on our roster heading into this spring semester, if my count is correct, now that Jamarcus Jarvis has left the team. 5 of those 64 players are members of the 2014 signing class. 1 grayshirt (Avery Fortenberry), 1 high school early enrollee (Connor Means), 1 division 1 transfer (Anthony Wallace), and 2 JUCO transfers (Greer and Akii Smith).

With 16 spots left for high school or may JUCO grads set to arrive over the summer for fall camp, that would put us at 80 scholarship players. This also assumes that no one else leaves. There is also some concern that if we get two more commitments and someone like Nick Orr wants to jump on board late, then we won't have a spot, or we'd have to leave someone already committed out. Because we have 5 spots left, with 85 being, there is a way we can blueshirt guys. I brought this up a couple times before but blueshirting is having players come in as walkons and giving them a scholarship before school starts, then counting them towards the next class. The catch is that they can't have had an in-home visit or gone on an official visit to the school.

Here are a couple articles on blueshirting.

http://www.presnapread.com/whats-a-blue-shirt-anyway/

http://knoxblogs.com/evanseleven/tag/blue-shirting/

Just some food for thought as it pertains to our signing class and our scholarship situation for next year.

• Upvote 1

idk know this for sure, but it is starting to look like Garrett Davis isnt really a UNT commit either... i know he verbally committed a while back but he is a guy that seems like he would jump ship at the first sight of a p5 scholarship and im pretty sure some schools have shown interest in him. that being said, there may be another scholarship open... also, correctme if im wrong, but cant we bring in 25 scholarship players each new year? so wouldnt there be room for 4 more scholarships with the 16 high school and the 5 guys already on campus?

idk know this for sure, but it is starting to look like Garrett Davis isnt really a UNT commit either... i know he verbally committed a while back but he is a guy that seems like he would jump ship at the first sight of a p5 scholarship and im pretty sure some schools have shown interest in him. that being said, there may be another scholarship open... also, correctme if im wrong, but cant we bring in 25 scholarship players each new year? so wouldnt there be room for 4 more scholarships with the 16 high school and the 5 guys already on campus?

Yes, you get 25 a year. 3 of our scholarships for this class have been taken up by giving scholarships to walkons who have played less than 2 seasons on the team as a walkon (Buyers,Kirby, Macek,). Vito is the one who has said we have 2 more spots. I trust him, but I'm not sure where the 25th scholarship has gone to (21 signees and 3 walkons given scholarships).

Yes, you get 25 a year. 3 of our scholarships for this class have been taken up by giving scholarships to walkons who have played less than 2 seasons on the team as a walkon (Buyers,Kirby, Macek,). Vito is the one who has said we have 2 more spots. I trust him, but I'm not sure where the 25th scholarship has gone to (21 signees and 3 walkons given scholarships).

i thought there was a rule that you could bring in players to fill in the extra scholarships from kids who left as long as some are early enrolees like greer, akii, and means... wouldnt that allow us to get to 28 this year? i may be confusing myself more on this stuff... i just hope we have spaces left because we could have quite a few quality guys fall in our laps towards the end of this recruiting cycle.

i thought there was a rule that you could bring in players to fill in the extra scholarships from kids who left as long as some are early enrolees like greer, akii, and means... wouldnt that allow us to get to 28 this year? i may be confusing myself more on this stuff... i just hope we have spaces left because we could have quite a few quality guys fall in our laps towards the end of this recruiting cycle.

The rule about bringing in extra players is that you can bring in as many in excess of 25 as you were under 25 the year before. As long as you bring at at least the excess number at mid-term. For example, if you sign 22 one year (3 under 25) you can sign 28 (3 over 25) the next year as long at least 3 of those signees enroll in the spring.

That doesn't work for us because we signed 25 last year if you count the walkons we put on scholarship, so we get just 25 this year.

The rule about bringing in extra players is that you can bring in as many in excess of 25 as you were under 25 the year before. As long as you bring at at least the excess number at mid-term. For example, if you sign 22 one year (3 under 25) you can sign 28 (3 over 25) the next year as long at least 3 of those signees enroll in the spring.

That doesn't work for us because we signed 25 last year if you count the walkons we put on scholarship, so we get just 25 this year.

BillySee58, I would wonder if UNT is expecting any more attrition due to grades, quitting or transferring?

BillySee58, I would wonder if UNT is expecting any more attrition due to grades, quitting or transferring?

It wouldn't be surprising at all, but that has no bearing on how many we can sign. We'd be able to sign at least 26 guys this class, not including the walkons that we put on scholarship that count towards this class. We can only sign 25 per class, assuming that we signed 25 the year before (which we did, counting the walkons that we put on scholarship in the class). Edited by BillySee58