Do we need Rice to win C-USA championship?

Harry

NT is the best fit for HOD and vice versa, let me explain. I truly believe we will bring more people to the Dallas bowl than a team like Rice. While I respect their program and all, Rice is one of the smallest size schools in DI (I believe around 3500 students), as I'm sure you saw that stat during the Tulsa game. NT has nearly 40,000 students which means we have a ton of alumni, and I would bet, a majority of them still live pretty close to the DFW area. All we need to do is continue these winning seasons, have a couple B2B seasons similar to this years, and we will see the sleeping giant awaken!!

Invite and bring everyone you know. Tell them about this season, new coach, new stadium and etc if they haven't been following and get them excited! It's time and a lot of people are just waiting. Let's stop that waiting for them and get them as excited as we are about this program! I'm so glad we are in our position with so much upside than a team like those ponies and etc in Dallas. I remember going to the NT TCU game in FW the last time we played them there and they had a lot less fans at their games at the time than we do right now! They were also winning and were either in the WAC or MWC.

I also watched some of the film on Brock Berglund, he is a stud too, as well as Dajon Williams at QB. One of those guys should be able to carry this winning torch! We are going to have a squad for a long time to come! Get excited and bring your NT friends/family.

See ya at the game

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

As we all know, whatever bowl game we get is a reward for our Mean Green football team, Coach McCarney, his assistant coaches, to the UNT Athletic Department and then us, ie, the fans and alums. .

It would be nice if Mean Green fans could be part of our team's bowl-bound celebration but some of us have been trying to tell others of you that when things which have concerned North Texas in the past sometimes creates a scenario of....all that glitters is not gold BUT.............Hawaii would be gold for our special group who got to 8 wins as to make them AND our alma mater bowl-worthy.

Could we not be prouder of them all because of what they did?

GMG!

PS: Hawaii ain't bad--it aint' bad at all....used to live there before I met most of my peers and age group of UNT who (like me) seem to live on Harry's long running message board, ie, GMG.com And thanks to you, Harry, you brought many of us together and allowed many of us to put faces to names.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't have a source, but I read somewhere that CUSA actually chooses where to send their teams and its not the bowls that pick. SEC is going to this system in the future, I believe.

edit: I found this tidbid: "Note: After the Liberty Bowl selects its participant, the remaining bowls work together to fill C-USA slots." http://www.bcsknowhow.com/2012-13-bowl-season-bowl-selection-order

I follow a dude on another forum who knows his bowl stuff, which is where I read the thing about CUSA.

Edited by Stephen Baker

I don't have a source, but I read somewhere that CUSA actually chooses where to send their teams and its not the bowls that pick. SEC is going to this system in the future, I believe.

edit: I found this tidbid: "Note: After the Liberty Bowl selects its participant, the remaining bowls work together to fill C-USA slots." http://www.bcsknowhow.com/2012-13-bowl-season-bowl-selection-order

I follow a dude on another forum who knows his bowl stuff, which is where I read the thing about CUSA.

I posted this a little earlier:

Hawaii gets second pick, and could pick from Rice - Marshall loser or ECU.

That isn't how CUSA bowl agreements work. The conference works in tandem with all the bowls to try and seed the teams in their best slots. CUSA is losing the Liberty next year, and HoD is going to become their premier bowl. Not only that, but next year CUSA becomes the permanent host, while the opposing slot will rotate between B12/B10. CUSA has a huge incentive to make them very, very happy.

Really the HOD comes down to Rice and NT this year. We have nine times the undergraduate enrollment they do, I am not sure how many alumni Rice has in DFW, but I would guess it is closer to 20x than to 10x more than they do.

If Rice had beaten us, and was sitting at 10 wins, I would be worried. We just make too much sense for the HoD, they will want us, and CUSA will want to make their partnership with them as successful as possible.