Recruiting Question

So far, recruiting is not going far at all. We are still being picked clean by the likes of ULM, ASU, Tx State-San Marcos, and that national power-to-be, UT at San Antonio.

Do the football coaches ever conduct follow-up surveys or get feedback on why we lose the players, that seem to be near solid UNT commits, to those and other programs? If we don't solicit feedback at the AD level, is this something RV or Dan McCarney could enlist the help of the UNT marketing dept. for help. Why would a recruit choose UT at San Antonio over UNT? ULM, or ASU over UNT?

I know when a recruit likes UNT and seems near-committed, then commits or signs with a power conference program, I can understand that.

I refuse to accept the "recruit wants to leave the DFW area" as a reason for signing with ULM, ASU, or utsa. San Antonio has its pluses, but we're talking a program that has had two seasons under their belt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So far, recruiting is not going well at all, considering others are getting solid commitments this early in the game. We are still being picked clean by the likes of ULM, ASU, Tx State-San Marcos, and that national power-to-be, UT at San Antonio.

Do the football coaches ever conduct follow-up surveys or get feedback on why we lose the players, that seem to be near solid UNT commits, to those and other programs? If we don't solicit feedback at the AD level, is this something RV or Dan McCarney could enlist the help of the UNT marketing dept. for help. Why would a recruit choose UT at San Antonio over UNT? ULM, or ASU over UNT?

I know when a recruit likes UNT and seems near-committed, then commits or signs with a power conference program, I can understand that.

I refuse to accept the "recruit wants to leave the DFW area" as a reason for signing with ULM, ASU, or utsa. San Antonio has its pluses, but we're talking a program that has had two seasons under their belt.

So far, recruiting is not going far at all. We are still being picked clean by the likes of ULM, ASU, Tx State-San Marcos, and that national power-to-be, UT at San Antonio.

Here's a good reason a recruit wouldn't sign here:

4-8

So we should close her down in Denton and come back as a new start-up school? :)

I still don't judge recruiting until after the February signing date. All this now is like

all those pre-season college football magazines as far as I'm concerned.

If we have a winning season this Fall that will have impact, too, because some getting

some early commits are going to be having losing seasons this Fall. I don't know the stats

on this but If 80% of these early commits stay committed, than that still leaves a hefty 20%

for North Texas to change their minds and.............sometimes it might only take 2 or 3 of that group

to put the icing on the cake for a good recruiting season.

It is still my belief that all these very well attended Senior and Junior Days at Apogee

Stadium will pay dividends. North Texas is not a hard sell for a recruit. In another era when

we didn't have near the venues we have today Hayden Fry used to say--

"if I can get them on the UNT campus we have a great chance of signing them."

I do think Coach Mac needs to intensify his JUCO recruiting and to keep his NCAA transfer

avenues open since those 2 can really keep us in the game (so to speak).

Remember how San Diego State used to build their entire program on JUCO's back in the day?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Seems to me that the real proof is how the recruits develop, not how they are rated before they ever don a D1 uniform and step into a D1 football game. This year would seem to be quite telling for how The Coach Mac era is going with respect to his staff's recruits. We will all see pretty darn soon now.

Just need to make sure that Dallas Cowboy injury bug remains in California and does not infect the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2

Believe me, this year we haven't been beaten by the likes of those that Deep named except for one. I do believe that we would liked to have signed Verkedrick Vaughns, who gave a verbal to ASU. Other than that the only other non-BCS school that has beaten us for players that we would've liked commitments from is Rice. Academically, we are not going to compete with Rice for the exceptionally football players. On the flip side, we offer a lot more majors so that can compensate for those with more varied interests.

We have 56 open offers that I know of. Forty two of those offers are to three star athletes which means that 14 are either two-star or not rated. Let's use this hypothesis: We have offered ssven three-star and three two-star defensive backs. The two-star backs come to you with commitments. You look at the six 3* backs and you're pretty sure that you won't get two of them but you have a real chance at the rest. If you go ahead and get 2* commitments and say three of the five three-stars don't get that BCS offer and then look to you, and you're filled with two-star commits you must either turn some of the three stars down or go back to the two-stars and tell them that you must renege on accepting their commitment. The two-star players are good players but they are 8, 9, and 10 on your board. If one of them has a firm offer from say, ULM, then he accepts it because it may not be there later.

Rapport with most of these recruits were developed in camps. The recruiter is sometimes deeply involved with players and would definitely want to know why our offer was rejected. Most recruiters probably already know why the recruit is accepting another offer rather than yours. I'd wager that there is a file on each recruit including contacts, expenses and yes, reasons for any rejections.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, it comes down to something simple for me. If Mac turns things around and we start having some winning seasons, attendance and then recruiting will improve.

If not, we'll get somebody else in here and we'll start over.

I personally really like Mac. I've had the pleasure of whipping his ars with questions a couple times, and he was charismatic, engaging, and exuded a fire that I found to be quite intoxicating. I like the guy and really really hope he will be the one to turn this program around.

We will see.

So far, recruiting has been really bad compared to my expectations. I would expect our recruiting niche to be beating schools in the belt, beating about half the schools of cusa, and beating some of the auto-q schools when kids are borderliners... So far, I really have been disappointed. I have to admit that I get beaten by Mr. Vito's mentioning when some kids holding UNT offers go elsewhere... I guess I really can't blame him for mentioning it, cause what else is he going to write about these days?

We have excelled at transfers, which is the one thing that I think will elevate our record this year. Through a winning record and a mostly full stadium, I could see Mac's level of recruit improving... I predict this year will make or break the Mac era. Win, and things change for the better. If we spend another season in purgatory, we will be hitting the reset button very shortly.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Stradfotd and Cam Feldt would disagree that highly rated transfers always work out (although there is still hope for Cam).

Hopefully the current flock of transfer lead us to the promised land, but keep in mind that the reason most kids transfer is an inability to sniff the 2 deep at their current school.

Being 4th team at LsU doesn't necessarily equate to being 1 st team at UNT (thank God!), and surely doesn't provide a promise of an impact player.

That said, I am excited about the kid from Oregon and the kid that graduated from Louisville (? Sed Ellis). Less excited about the WR transfer from Texas.

It will be interesting.

37 days.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1