Sun Belt Tried To Grab Four CUSA schools

We are very, very fortunate that Rick and Rawlins played the cards right.

And just as fortunate that SMU left CUSA for the Big East because had that not happened we would all know our present plight (and conference).

Lady luck has not smiled often on UNT football or basketball for most of us older alum's lives but this is one time she did. We still need to do much more with Apogee Stadium than we did with the Super Pit in its first 4 decades of its existence, though. If ever we thought a venue would create a program we can always point at the Super Pit as an example that it doesn't. It still boils down to whose in charge and who is hired or replaced. We waited much too long for a Johnny Jones kind of hire and basically had a Cadillac basketball venue with Studebaker mechanics working on it decades before JJ's hiring.

As most always....I digress but am at the age now to where I have an excuse.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

As long as Southen Miss, UAB, ECU and Marshall are not in a power conference I think all four are tied together. Even if CUSA would have lost UTEP and Tulsa to the MWC, I wouldn't have seen any of the four taking a Sun Belt invite. Those four most likely plus Tulane and Rice would have rebuilt a conference by adding three to six new schools. Depending on what would have been more finacial worthy.

• Upvote 1

As long as Southen Miss, UAB, ECU and Marshall are not in a power conference I think all four are tied together. Even if CUSA would have lost UTEP and Tulsa to the MWC, I wouldn't have seen any of the four taking a Sun Belt invite. Those four most likely plus Tulane and Rice would have rebuilt a conference by adding three to six new schools. Depending on what would have been more finacial worthy.

UAB's stadium situation should be a matter of concern for CUSA veterans, though.. Not sure what their next move is to be honest.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

The best reason to move from the Belt was to get away from Benson.

The second was the lack of name recognition of many colleges in the Belt.

The third is we will be with a much better regional group known in Texas.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

I am about 100% sure that there were multiple people on this forum that used to advocate for all the "reasons" that the sunbelt would be more attractive to schools in other conferences especially as the belt "caught up" to everyone else

now that CUSA in particualr is adding move ups and moving closer to the sunbelt suddenly it would be a crazy idea for any school to even consider moving to the belt.......probably the words of those that used to say how the belt was catching up or even passing CUSA and other conferences

I am not saying that any school should look at moving there right now especially, but there were plenty on this forum saying the same thing in the past

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am about 100% sure that there were multiple people on this forum that used to advocate for all the "reasons" that the sunbelt would be more attractive to schools in other conferences especially as the belt "caught up" to everyone else

now that CUSA in particualr is adding move ups and moving closer to the sunbelt suddenly it would be a crazy idea for any school to even consider moving to the belt.......probably the words of those that used to say how the belt was catching up or even passing CUSA and other conferences

I am not saying that any school should look at moving there right now especially, but there were plenty on this forum saying the same thing in the past

Nah, that was the Sun Belt board. I always looked at the Sun Belt as stable. I prefered the stability of the SBC over that of the WAC. It was a good home for us when we needed it. I think a more accurate attitude of 90% of the posters on this board was "get us the heck outta here", while another 10% were supportive of the SBC but wanted CUSA/MWC bad. I honestly can't recall one poster much less multiple who thought the SBC was in any kind of position of strength and be able to "raid" CUSA.

• Upvote 2