Chuck Landon: C-USA to face critical choice of new schools

techdawg88

Here are the candidates in order of probability.

Charlotte: The 49ers will be adding football at the FBC level (formerly NCAA I-AA) for the 2013 season. Charlotte was planning to remain at that level for the foreseeable future, but, then, C-USA came calling.

Now, according to sources, Charlotte has pushed the time-table for elevating to FBS status to 2015. There also has been re-thinking on the size of the on-campus football stadium that's being constructed. Instead of the original 15,000-seat concept, sources say the capacity has been increased to 25,000 with the ability to expand farther.

That would allow Charlotte to join C-USA for the 2014 season, theoretically. Since every FBS school is permitted to play one FBC opponent each season, the current C-USA members could add Charlotte to their schedules.

Florida International: Adding this Miami-based school is a no-brainer. C-USA needs a Florida school to replace UCF -- for football recruiting purposes, if nothing else -- and FIU is the top prospect. The Panthers are a slumbering giant just as UCF was when it joined the Mid-American Conference.

North Texas: The Mean Green has made a commitment to athletics and has new 30,850-seat Apogee Stadium to show for it. It replaces Houston or SMU perfectly.

Louisiana Tech: The Bulldogs have wanted to join C-USA for years. Now, the timing is right. Since La. Tech is located in Ruston, La., it is within six hours of driving time or less for UAB, Southern Miss, Tulane and Rice. It is seven hours from Tulsa.

That proximity makes the Bulldogs attractive, travel-expense wise.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1545607034/C-USA-to-face-critical-choice-of-new-schools

Interesting point I hadn't considered,

UT-San Antonio: The only question is which side UTSA would be on -- C-USA or MWC. Otherwise, it's the only collegiate football game in town, plays in the Alamodome and also offers an NBA arena for future league post-season tournaments. What's not to like?

San Antonio would make a great place for the conference tourney.

Not that it really matters now since we are within a gnat's whisker of a CUSA invite, but not quite sure how or why Charlotte (with no FBS football) would be at the top of this probability list.

An Epistle:

Outside of how most of the E. Carolina fans would feel, Charlotte (and Old Dominion for that matter) are still not even a blip on the main geographical footprint of CUSA (central & deep south USA); of course, they'll say the same about North Texas but only the brain dead of CUSA who can't see beyond the past 10 years of NCAA inter-collegiate competition would have no idea that we actuallly have a longer history (legacy , if you will) in NCAA D1 than anyone they have on any of their lists plus.....with some wins against some schools even a few from CUSA still cannot get on their schedules (beginning with the school down in Austin, Texas, of which our first game with them should have been a win and even one in Knoxvile, Tennessee (which was a Mean Green win & still without doubt our greatest all time win since the SEC Vols were 6 & 5 that season).

Will be glad when all this is over for darn sure and am still not certain why its been dragged out this long. I think we all know North Texas is going to have to immediately up its game plan in this league and cannot go into a SBC-esque funk. I really believe there will be those in the upper echelon and offices of CUSA who not only need UNT as its largest TV market entry to compete but to actually start getting some ranked teams in the Top 25 polls. In other words, our business as usual era needs to go the way of the dinosaur. Just sayin' what most every one of you on this or any other North Texas oriented forum know is the truth.

I told Rick Villarreal 7 or 8 years ago at a hot weather Mean Green Village tail-gate at the old stadium that he really had the worst AD job in the NCAA because we the alums and fans of North Texas can be like a bunch of old sewing bee LOL's (little ol' ladies) and are almost never satisfied. We can be critical on this forum (and even with each other) albeit I like to think some of what is construed as being critical could many times fall in the "constructive critism" department. Bottom Line: All of us want what is good for the University of North Texas.

Are We of GMG.com Really the Waltons of TV Fame?

In many ways we are kinda' like a family of 10 at the evening dinner table (an in the past American tradition, unfortunately) with each of our siblings trying to get a word in edge-wise while throwing a few dinner rolls at each other from time to time when the folks aren't watching but...if ever there was a time for all of our UNT alums, Mean Green fans, UNT students, the UNT faculty and our entire UNT constituency to pull together I believe we'd all agree that that time would be now. This expected-to-happen CUSA venture will easily be the greatest challenge on the fields and courts of battle in the history of the University of North Texas. In every way that each of us can donation-wise spanning from those who might have the equivalence of the widow's mite to you who have been very ble$ed financially, we should all up our game, too, even if not a monetary gift making one's self available for voluntary service projects as deemed necessary by the UNT Athletic Department. NOTE: But as we volunteer our services, lets not be like the Boy Scout who wants to help the Little Ol Lady across the street who doesn't want to go across the street. Let North Texas decide the project(s) and what they need any volunteers (if any) to do in other words.

Ask Not What UNT Can Do For You--But Ask What You (We) Can Do For UNT:

My DJ business is pretty stable and busy (and I have 2 other DJ's who work for me because of it), but for any DJ gig I book from any GMG.com member I will still give a nice percentage back to North Texas Athletics with even the GMG.com member, ie, my client writing that check donation back to the UNT Athletic Department with a "compliments of SoundworkS Productions and "said client's" name on the lower left bottom line of the check. You will get the donation credit--UNT will get the donation. OK...shameless plug time and a way you can get in touch to get an event quote, too..... www.soundworksdeejay.com My DJ business for all practical purposes is my 401K just like what many of you will be saying about your own business you have now or will create near or post retirement age for those who have to stay active doing something (like myself). It beats sitting around drawing SSI checks (mine start this November) and wiping drivel from one's bib as you sit in a rocking chair talking about the good ol days.:rolleyes:

Good Times Ahead--These "ARE" The Good Ol Days !

GMG!f

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There will be no FBS start ups added to CUSA/MWC alliance. I'll bet anyone a $10 spot donated to the board who believes otherwise.

I don't understand why they wouldn't add MTSU instead.

They're down in football right now but have had recent success, their basketball is really good and their other sports are always strong.

They're also a good geographic fit and have a good media market.

What does Charlotte add that MTSU does not?

• Upvote 3

They're down in football right now but have had recent success, their basketball is really good and their other sports are always strong.

IA, I mentioned on the CUSA message board that it's probably better to add Middle Tennesse before Charlotte

• Upvote 2

In a word, Charlotte (in theory, at least). As a former Charlotte resident (and current Nashville resident), I know the school has almost zero pull in and around the city (who knows what kind of following football will develop, but I wouldn't hold my breath). But at least it is in the magor market city and the biggest school in the city. MTSU is half an hour outside Nashville and third tier behind Tennessee and Vanderbilt. Over time, UNCC has a better chance of attracting local TV viewers in Charlotte than MTSU does in Nashville.

UNCC has longer basketball history, good baseball history, and did I mention it's in Charlotte?

• Upvote 1

About 300 miles farther distance from East Carolina and a larger media market (not that Nashville isn't bad). They are as unready as UTSA. Both need to wait another five years, then if they have improved what they can bring to the table, they will deserve to be added.

• Upvote 2