Bio: Jeff Capel, Duke

Harry

The more I think about it, the more I like Capel. He's young. He's proven he can do great at a small school. He started the run of success that VCU has had over the past decade, and he did it while he was in his 20s. He's a name that people recognize. He's recruited the area before. The only real negative I can think of is the minor violation at OU. I think he's currently my favorite.

• Upvote 2

I'm officially making it known that I'm on the Jeff Capel bandwagon. I think he would be a terrific coach for UNT. Only concern is if he found success here, have no doubt he would jump ship quickly to move back into the larger ranks.

Yeah, but the good thing about that is that it means he had success here. Like it or not, that's going to be the case with any coach we hire until we start writing bigger checks. I'm okay with having to do this again in a few years if it means we're constantly winning. And by then, I'd bet our budget has expanded. Unfortunately at UNT, we can't have our cake and eat it too. If our coaches are successful, they're going to get offers that are difficult to pass up.

Didn't Capel get Willie Warren to come up to Norman?

I don't think I would mind this hire. Plenty of HC experience, plus a few years under coach K. If he's interested, I think you have to kick the tires.

EDIT: I think his scandal was more related to the STUPID Oklahoma boosters who keep giving players money. UNT doesn't really have that kind of booster, so he should be good here.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

I'm officially making it known that I'm on the Jeff Capel bandwagon. I think he would be a terrific coach for UNT. Only concern is if he found success here, have no doubt he would jump ship quickly to move back into the larger ranks.

He turned VCU into successful team and VCU is till a strong team years later, he built a winning culture. Now if he does the same to UNT and leaves and the success continues then what did was fine and wish luck.

JJ has left UNT in a good situation right now, regardless of my view on him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have to say I am torn... I like the SF idea, in house keeping some consistency. but Jeff Capel is very interesting too. local recruiting experience is very important in my view if this hire and both of these guys have it. but gun to my head, if Capel is an option he is my favorite.

Edited by hickoryhouse
  • Upvote 1