La. Tech AD reaches out to fans

Harry

Historically, our home games late in the season have posed numerous challenges with our fan base. As the holidays approach, students leave for Thanksgiving break, family priorities take precedence, and attendance at these games has been lower than at other games. Head coach Sonny Dykes and the Bulldog football team have taken major strides throughout the year and will be playing for a postseason opportunity and a potential Western Athletic Conference championship in our last home game; the team truly deserves your support.

Along with the importance of the potential bowl berth, our stake in conference realignment is still on the forefront, and the importance of fan attendance in regard to conference alignment cannot be overstated. With a strong showing by our fan base in the final home game, we have the opportunity to reach the highest single season average home at attendance in the history of our football program.

Read More:

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110811aaa.html

There are many non AQ schools that have a similar problem toward the end of the season. :rolleyes: La Tech is desperate because they are in a league that has no viable future. I look forward to seeing an SMU/UConn end of season Big East classic at Ford Stadium in the near future and the "22,000" that we can already predict will be a that game.

Even if North Texas doesn't improve its own conference lot in life this re-alignment go around, we at least are still in a conference that has a couple of bowl tie-ins and a conference TV package. La Tech has pissed off so many in the SBC that the 'Belt may not even be a lifeline for the Dawgs any longer so some of their fans may get their wish and just go back to the Southland Conference (or just drop football) rather than lower themselves to come to the SBC. (Uh......right).

One of the best last home and end of season game attendance most of us have seen was about 23,000 (?) for a New Mexico State game when the goal posts came down after our win. And that game took place at our new (old) Track & Field Stadiium, too.

The NCAA Land of Texas Story Telling:

Still, if SMU with their real attendance numbers can get in the Big East, I still like our chances to get admitted to CUSA 10 to 1 over La Tech's chances and I think many of the Tech posters on their BB&B propaganda board see the hand writing on the wall with that, too. The CUSAbbs board is simply amazing with all the "way off the radar/non TV market" schools they are mentioning for CUSA membership. And the false data and information some are listing for UNT is almost laughable, specifically the part of our athletic budget with some of their "hater" posters who chose not to list the truth with our present $22 million budget (which will be $24 million next fiscal year), but their having the audacity to have North Texas listed at $10 milliion.:blink:

You know there are just some out there who will tell lies non-stop when telling the truth would be so much easier.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

PlummMeanGreen,

Louisiana Tech alum here now living in the Dallas area. I occasionally stop by your board to check North Texas views on the conference shuffle. You of all the posters on this board seem very opinionated on certain schools, and now your venom is directed at Tech? What have we done to piss off the Sun Belt schools? I follow our program closely from afar and I've never heard of any ill will towards NT or the Sun Belt. We all would like to move up in the world of college athletics but geez. Care to explain?

And I'm not trying to come on your board and start anything, I'd just like to know why you feel this way about Tech?? Your lengthy posts are comical, if nothing else. :) Also, what in the world did SMU do to you?? Everyone one of your posts seem to have a backhanded slap at them. Anyway, Go Dawgs! beat Ole Miss!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

PlummMeanGreen,

Louisiana Tech alum here now living in the Dallas area. I occasionally stop by your board to check North Texas views on the conference shuffle. You of all the posters on this board seem very opinionated on certain schools, and now your venom is directed at Tech? What have we done to piss off the Sun Belt schools? I follow our program closely from afar and I've never heard of any ill will towards NT or the Sun Belt. We all would like to move up in the world of college athletics but geez. Care to explain?

And I'm not trying to come on your board and start anything, I'd just like to know why you feel this way about Tech?? Your lengthy posts are comical, if nothing else. :) Also, what in the world did SMU do to you?? Everyone one of your posts seem to have a backhanded slap at them. Anyway, Go Dawgs! beat Ole Miss!

Have you not read BulldogsBarks&Bytes in the last 10 years, ScottC?

I rest my case.

PS: My great-great grandfather was a Texas Ranger in the 1830's. I guess I may have some of that "shoot first-ask questions later" in my bloodline because of it I suppose. Nothing personal, but North Texas and the SBC have been isolated and demonized for years on your alma mater's smack board.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

PlummMeanGreen,

Are you really asking these questions?

Dig around and you will find your answers on La Tech's attitude towards the Sun Belt, and SMU's towards North Texas.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough. Honestly, I'm new to the message boards, even ours. The conference shuffle spurred my interest to start browsing. It's a fascinating time for sure. I have come to realize that these message boards have a small group of diehard fans who may or may not be rresentative of the fan base as a whole. I'm a 2004 grad and I try to attend 2 or 3 games a year. Base on my years post grad and as a student I've never ran across Tech fans with anything negative to say about North Texas. But as you mentioned, there must be something going on with the Tech posters that I'm unaware of but I would say that doesn't represent the fan base as a whole. Every school has a few fans who are often the most vocal that make the whole group look bad. I guess that's life.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Fair enough. Honestly, I'm new to the message boards, even ours. The conference shuffle spurred my interest to start browsing. It's a fascinating time for sure. I have come to realize that these message boards have a small group of diehard fans who may or may not be rresentative of the fan base as a whole. I'm a 2004 grad and I try to attend 2 or 3 games a year. Base on my years post grad and as a student I've never ran across Tech fans with anything negative to say about North Texas. But as you mentioned, there must be something going on with the Tech posters that I'm unaware of but I would say that doesn't represent the fan base as a whole. Every school has a few fans who are often the most vocal that make the whole group look bad. I guess that's life.

Being vocal doesn't always mean not being spot on, though. You will find some just can't handle the spot on part because they themselves usually don't have a clue--expect a red number from many of that group.

A few Rules For Smack Board Posters:

(1) Keep in mind that it is just that...a smack board. Many times very informative with good facts and data, though.

(2) Must have tough skin and be able to grin and bare through the personal insults and even laugh off some of them.

(3) Must be able to stay friends with those who get pissed at your opinions then get pissed off at you for expressing said opinion. At its extreme, it can be a friend-ender with some (a shallow friendship, I'd venture):(

(4) Write wordy posts as long as you want because some posters on these boards have sleep apnea and you can be of humanitarian service to them.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

(4) Write wordy posts as long as you want because some posters on these boards have sleep apnea and you can be of humanitarian service to them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScottC, I will say that, as a whole, La Tech fans have always seemed like pretty good people to me and have rarely, outside of a few boneheads that every university has, said anything negative about North Texas. But, your administration basically degraded the Sun Belt Conference with some comments just priot to the season. I believe they were in regards to what his plan was for La Tech with the WAC falling apart and if he would make a move back to the Sun Belt.

PlummMeanGreen,

I would love to see L Tech and UNT to develop into some sort of rivalry. Who knows what will happen in the alignment debacle, but it makes sense for UNT and LTech to move into ConfUSA.

JRock

I would love to see L Tech and UNT to develop into some sort of rivalry. Who knows what will happen in the alignment debacle, but it makes sense for UNT and LTech to move into ConfUSA.

JRock

There is enough dislike that would for certain translate onto the football field and in the stands and that's for damn sure.

To quote conservative talk guy Mark Levin: There! I said it!:sword::lol:

• Upvote 1