Tailgating/parking talk

kj86

Tailgating is really not that complicated, I don't think.

As far as traffic, they are going to post online (maybe mail?) information on traffic patterns. Its still 25 days away, so I don't see any need to provide the information more than a few weeks in advance at the most. Otherwise everyone will lose it or forget it and the we will have a complaint post about how athletics didn't send out reminders on the traffic pattern.

Or ignore it completely and complain that "no one told me anything". As someone recently replied to one of my posts..."Patience Grasshopper"...all in due time.

I hope! The concerns are legitimate as the fans at UNT have worked long and hard to create a great tailgate atmosphere on game day. I do not believe the first few games would "KILL" tailgating as Flyer implies as things will definitely sort themselves out over time, but why risk it if you don't have to do so? This is definitely something I hope the AD staff are really focusing on for the fans. It would, of course, be a mistake if they are not. I would imagine it is very important to them and they are working all the details out and will let folks know before game day.

What will be important is that all the fans follow the directions to the very best of their abilities whether they agree with them or not. If it doesn't work the first game or two...changes will be made, but this is new for everyone and even the best made plans have a way of slipping when actually enacted...ask any soldier about battlefield pre-planning before and then how it actually happened come "game day".

Patience, Grasshoppers, patience. All in due time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm worried about having to carry tailgate gear 200 to 300 yards uphill from the parking lot. I'm worried that these rules may kill the tailgating atmosphere we've worked hard to build at UNT.

Funny, hasn't seemed to kill the tailgaiting atmoshpere here:

Link

Take a look at the pics:

1) Nobody tailgaiting behind the car

2) Everybody carries stuff in from drop off zone

The Mean Green Athletic Village has fantastic green space with mature trees to create a great tailgate atmosphere.

Here's to tailgaiting on The Village Green!!!!

• Upvote 1

Funny, hasn't seemed to kill the tailgaiting atmoshpere here:

Link

Take a look at the pics:

1) Nobody tailgaiting behind the car

2) Everybody carries stuff in from drop off zone

The Mean Green Athletic Village has fantastic green space with mature trees to create a great tailgate atmosphere.

Here's to tailgaiting on The Village Green!!!!

That is way too organized and those people are way too dressed up. I'll be tailgating in my standard flip flops, cargo shorts, and Mean Green t-shirt out of the back of my truck. Haven't decided about a ball cap yet.

I do agree that there needs to be very clear communication about where tailgating is allowed and what is allowed where.

For example, if we are going to try to create an atmosphere like The Grove, will it also not allow open flames? Thus ruling out grilling before the game? If so, can we still tailgate in our assigned lots with a grill?

If things change dramatically (like no grilling), people are going to be very upset. I will be. I base my entire pre-game experiece on what I am going to grill. That being said, people will adapt to whatever changes are made. I personally hope they do have a set up of tents in the grassy area, maybe with some rules to limit the fire hazard, but also allow "normal" tailgating in the white lots.

Maybe Kram can correct me on this, but I seem to remember a few areas around the Okie St stadium that were just a sea of tents. I don't recall if they allowed grilling or not, but it was a pretty impressive sight to see those tents out there. The pics of the Grove are very impressive as well. I really hope that people take advantage of that area next to the stadium and don't just sit in the Fouts parking lot.

Does the Grove not allow grills? I will say this, having grills and coals over by those trees on "The Hill" could be dangerous especially in this heat wave. Parking lots are better for grills.

I think we can do better than the grove in my opinion once we get things worked out for Tailgating at The Village on the Green.

But if they don't allow car batteries or generators in The Grove how are they powering up their tv's?

Once we get it figured out that tree aproned hill is going to look pretty cool covered in tents.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1