Justin Gaines

cl_1_2008

Gaines_Justin_Wmug0759.jpg

Justin Gaines has proven his mettle as both a secondary coach and a recruiter in his time on the Bobcat staff, assisting Noah Joseph in molding one of the FCS’ top secondary units and establishing Texas as fertile recruiting territory for MSU.

Gaines brought roots in the Big Sky Conference and the state of Montana to MSU when he joined Rob Ash’s first staff in July, 2007. The former University of Montana standout coached defensive backs at Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, TX, from 2004-06. The two years prior to that, Gaines held the same position at Texas A&M-Commerce (2002-03). He also served as academic coordinator for each of those school’s football programs.

A former Grizzly defensive back from 1995-98, Gaines began his college coaching career at Texas Lutheran in 2000, moving to Northern Arizona to work with former UM assistant Jerome Souers.

Gaines earned All-Big Sky and Second Team All-America honors in 1997, and graduated with a BA in history in 2000. He coached at Florence-Carlton High School in 1999-2000.

The Gaines File

Born: September 25, 1977

Education: BA Montana, 2000, History

Player: All-Big Sky, 1997

Family: Wife Jessi

Hometown: Niceville, FL

• Upvote 2

I just took a glance at the commits. Have to say Im getting excited for next season. It seems like we are pulling in some guys with talent and getting commits from ids of have offers at bigger schools.

Is it August yet?

Holy shit, did someone really just go back to a post from 8 years ago to vote up/down?!  Wow. Really?

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I really really hope every fan who is interested gets a chance to meet the guy. I spent two minutes with Harry talking to him at the banquet, and you get a sense for the gravity of the man. And the crazy thing is, the whole staff exudes that. Gaines might be near the top, but I imagine any of them could probably sell ice to an eskimo.

If Dodge's staff was largely aloof, guys like Gaines personify the feeling of willing to sit down with any person, any time of any day, and just shoot the bull. Even if they really don't have time to do that, that's the feeling that they give you, and I imagine that has something to do with our recruiting success so far.

TLDR: Agreed, he's a great get for UNT.

• Upvote 1

...guys like Gaines personify the feeling of willing to sit down with any person, any time of any day, and just shoot the bull. Even if they really don't have time to do that, that's the feeling that they give you, and I imagine that has something to do with our recruiting success so far.

This ability is critical. The best recruiters have it, and it is sincerity and the willingness to let someone know that they are really important, and that they care about them.

Bowden has it. Joe Pa has it. Carroll has it. Brown has it. Fry has it.

McCarney has it, knows what it looks like, and identifies it in his coaches, apparently.