Florida International - 67

Bowling Green - 76

Current as of 4:19 EST

Texas College - 50

UL - Lafayette - 50

(where the hell is Texas College?)

Furman -21

MTSU - 6

Really thought this could've been a 4-0 day for the Belt...struggling to get to .500 is terrible

There was some ULL fan on the Sun Belt forum who was chirping during the offseason about how the whole league was in for a big surprise now that Bob Marlin was in town.

I'm not sure if this is what he meant... I don't think it is. But I sure am surprised.

What a disgusting day for SBC basketball. Loss to an NAIA for ULL, FIU chokes and gives Bowling Green their first D-1 victory of the year (after 8 losses), MTSU looking at a 20 point loss to Furman.

When the highlight of the day is a win against Houston Baptist by what's supposed to be one of your power teams... Terrible day. Terrible.

I know that WKU has not done anything to help the OOC this year, but I really do think that the incentive structure needs to change in this conference. I know that UNT fans know what I am talking about when I say that the same teams that lose to freaking Bowling Green (I know, I know, we didn't beat them by much) and Texas College will look like world beaters when they play the top in conference teams.

There is an attitude among some coaches, fan bases, and administrations that non conference losses don't matter. Hot Springs and seeding for Hot Springs is all that matters.

We reward conference teams for beating conference opponents. We should reward them for beating non-conference opponents.

• Upvote 3

I know that WKU has not done anything to help the OOC this year, but I really do think that the incentive structure needs to change in this conference. I know that UNT fans know what I am talking about when I say that the same teams that lose to freaking Bowling Green (I know, I know, we didn't beat them by much) and Texas College will look like world beaters when they play the top in conference teams.

There is an attitude among some coaches, fan bases, and administrations that non conference losses don't matter. Hot Springs and seeding for Hot Springs is all that matters.

We reward conference teams for beating conference opponents. We should reward them for beating non-conference opponents.

Joe Scott actually said publicly that his goal is to have his team playing "best basketball" when conference play starts. No concern for OOC whatsoever. And Brady doesn't seem overly worried about anything happening in OOC for the second year in a row.

For the record, Western has done a hell of a lot more than 2/3rds of the rest of the league combined. We said it in the podcast, but they're one of only 3 or 4 teams maximum that are above complaints from other schools in OOC performance this year.

For the record, Western has done a hell of a lot more than 2/3rds of the rest of the league combined. We said it in the podcast, but they're one of only 3 or 4 teams maximum that are above complaints from other schools in OOC performance this year.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I'm not convinced that is true. Allow me to add to your excellent podcasts' discussion on RPI.

Our opponents' opponents' have no bearing what-so-ever on Sunbelt RPI. This is because North Texas's opponents' opponents' are just our opponents.

So if you take the two components of our rpi that affect North Texas in proportion it breaks down to this:

2/3 of what we do to affect you is our win/loss record (your opponents win %).

1/3 of what we do to affect you is our opponents' win/loss record (your opponents' opponents' win %).

So while our non conference opponents will no doubt win a lot of games this year, we will have beaten at best half of them. And this is what I mean when I say the incentives are screwed up.

When our non conference opponents win (which they will) it helps our RPI significantly (since half of our RPI is opponents' win%). But when we lose against them it hurts your RPI significantly (our win% is half of your RPI but only 1/4th of ours). This is why I am not convinced that our Sunbelt 150 rule is the best solution.

#1 it has no teeth so what does it matter anyway.

#2 it encourages teams to play schedules that they will lose against.

I think we need to start including non conference games in conference standings. Allow John Brady to schedule whoever he wants. But if loses against them then he pays for it in seeding.

Its unconventional but I think it is the only thing that will really work. The best thing for the conference is to schedule the toughest schedule that you can win against. If there is no schedule you can win against (within a reasonable amount of time to build a roster)... fire the coach.

Edited by Hilltopper2k