Past Mccarney Assistants

And that is exactly why he never got over the hump at I-State. That is some serious coaching turnover. I-State didn't pay assistants squat during Mac's tenure so we were constantly changing coaches. Not Mac's fault, but that was the hand he was dealt.

There are some seriously good names listed above.

And that is exactly why he never got over the hump at I-State. That is some serious coaching turnover. I-State didn't pay assistants squat during Mac's tenure so we were constantly changing coaches. Not Mac's fault, but that was the hand he was dealt.

There are some seriously good names listed above.

And he will be dealt a worse hand here. How do we expect him to do better here with less than how he did at ISU?!?!?!?

Since there is little chance of our getting almost all of those on the list, I assume that you are trying to show us how many coaches that were associated with ISU are either now on pro, BCS AQ, or are head coaches at smaller universities since you curiously omitted Mike Nelson among others who don't fit the above categories.

I feel that Dan McCartney has some good coaching contacts and that's one of the most comforting aspects of the hire.

Edited by GrayEagle

It wasn't a matter of getting good coaches, it was a matter of being able to pay and keep them. This is part of college football, but it also shows success. People aren't going to want to hire assistants for a team that couldn't play itself out of a wet paper bag. Most coaches, if they're good and on a good staff/team, will usually want bigger and better things instead of just staying a coordinator or position coach.

And he will be dealt a worse hand here. How do we expect him to do better here with less than how he did at ISU?!?!?!?

It's all relative I guess. There is no reason you should expect to get lesser assistants at UNT than he did at I-State. With all of the infrastructure you guys have invested in football... obviously a signal by your administration that you are committed to winning some football games. That goes a LONG way towards getting and keeping good coaches. It's not always strictly money. The moral of the story is that he has a knack for picking really good assistants.

It's all relative I guess. There is no reason you should expect to get lesser assistants at UNT than he did at I-State. With all of the infrastructure you guys have invested in football... obviously a signal by your administration that you are committed to winning some football games. That goes a LONG way towards getting and keeping good coaches. It's not always strictly money. The moral of the story is that he has a knack for picking really good assistants.

I hope so. I wonder who he will retain that is currently on staff. He would do well to retain Canales, Nelson, and Gandy I think.