Is It Too Much To Ask A Hfc Candidate

eulessismore

I don't think anything was more disheartening in listening to yesterday's game than time after time hearing, after some ULM player made a big play, that (insert name here) from (insert dfw area town here) made the play.

Yes, our previous head coach talked about the importance of recruiting the dfw area, but really only had experience in coaching a dfw area team. And don't tell me that (insert formerly winning head coaches name here) can bring them in based on having a winning record at (insert well known school name here). I mean, if Todd Berry, possessor of as bad a record at Army as Todd Dodge did at North Texas, didn't recruit those guys to ULM, Charlie Weatherbie, who was 31-51 at ULM did, and he did no better than break even in any of his 7 years there.

I will admit to being among those whom Vito has described as seeing ULM as a program we should be beating on the field. However, I'm completely baffled as to why we can't beat them at recruiting here in our own area; the stellar attractions of nearby Shreveport? I just don't get it. Maybe I should have spent more time enjoying the attractions of Louisiana when I was stationed at Leesville in the Army.

Edited by eulessismore

I think too much emphasis gets put on recruiting the DFW area. While the idea seems perfect, I don't think it matters just where you recruit....there are a lot more spares than good recruits in the area. The staff just needs to know how to recruit the whole state and our whole entire region and if the budget is there then we need to look nationally.

I think too much emphasis gets put on recruiting the DFW area. While the idea seems perfect, I don't think it matters just where you recruit....there are a lot more spares than good recruits in the area. The staff just needs to know how to recruit the whole state and our whole entire region and if the budget is there then we need to look nationally.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, except for "the idea seems perfect". To me, the idea seems simple, and the emphasis you mentioned has not yielded results. If other teams without anything all that superior to what we have to offer are beating us with recruits from this area, why haven't we gotten good results (emphasizing results, not emphasis).

Budget IS the key. And let's face it. You guys aren't UT, which can afford to send its coaches anywhere to look for players. You guys therefore need to be sure that if you hire somebody to be head coach who doesn't know HS coaches in Texas that he hires several assistants who do.