Wichita State Football Team Crash

Just happened to see this on the Yahoo sports page. I didn't realize that happened just before the crash of the plane carrying the Marshall football team. Kinda sad, especially when you realize it wasn't just the crash that killed their program, but budget issues 16 years later. Here's the link:

Struggle to keep memories of Wichita State Football Crash Tragedy Alive

Just happened to see this on the Yahoo sports page. I didn't realize that happened just before the crash of the plane carrying the Marshall football team. Kinda sad, especially when you realize it wasn't just the crash that killed their program, but budget issues 16 years later. Here's the link:

Struggle to keep memories of Wichita State Football Crash Tragedy Alive

Wow, interesting read. Strange that much of the wreckage is still there. I guess there's no way or reason to get it off the mountain.

I was young then but remember talk in the newspapers after the Marshall crash about some people not wanting teams to fly to games after these two crashes, by bus or train only.

North Texas played at Wichita State seven weeks after the crash, Nov. 21, winning 41-24.

There is still desire in Wichita to revive football, but much like UTA, Long Beach, and Pacific nothing really serious has prompted it's return. Lamar however has football again.

Edited by NT80

Wow, interesting read. Strange that much of the wreckage is still there. I guess there's no way or reason to get it off the mountain.

I was young then but remember talk in the newspapers after the Marshall crash about some people not wanting teams to fly to games after these two crashes, by bus or train only.

North Texas played at Wichita State seven weeks after the crash, Nov. 21, winning 41-24.

There is still desire in Wichita to revive football, but much like UTA, Long Beach, and Pacific nothing really serious has prompted it's return. Lamar however has football again.

As does Midwestern State University and Old Dominion. Just checked out the Lamar site and being reminded of Billy Tubbs, their AD, and a North Texas BB assistant coach before going on to fame at OU. He was my swimming instructor one summer while he was there; I guess a guy just couldn't make it on just being a North Texas BB assistant then.

That was an interesting read. I also found it interesting that so much wreckage is still at the site, but maybe you would find this with many air crashes.