Can Some Of Our Guys Get Medical Redshirts?

El Paso Eagle

Here is what I was able to find - Seems like the guys hurt in, or before game 2 should be covered -

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

1) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

2) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

3) the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater)

Edited by El Paso Eagle

Here is what I was able to find - Seems like the guys hurt in, or before game 2 should be covered -

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

1) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

2) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

3) the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater)

Unfortunately, lots of "wiggle room" in it so the NCAA can bend over for the major programs and shaft the smaller ones. :angry:

EPE, that's the old version -- change the 2 contests or 20% to 3 contests or 30%.

2010-2011 NCAA Division I Manual is at http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D111.pdf

;);) So at the rate we are going, the one's that go down this week will be able to apply?? :unsure::unsure:

** No, I am not hoping for any injuries **

Edited by El Paso Eagle

The main problem as I see it is that the rule covers the first five seasons. Those that redshirted as a freshman have only four years of eligibility remaining so it would do no good to give them another year of eligibility that they already have. Now if they'd change the rule to six years then all would be eligible.

They do occasionally give a sixth year (Jason White and Ramon Flanigan come to mind) but it seems pretty rare, especially for a non-BCS school.

GrayEagle,

I'm confused by the first part of your post. An athlete who redshirts a year by not playing is in no way prohibited from then being granted a medical hardship waiver in another season.

Medical hardship waivers are not really all that rare, what is rare is when a "headline" player gets one.

Edited by BeatNavy

The main problem as I see it is that the rule covers the first five seasons. Those that redshirted as a freshman have only four years of eligibility remaining so it would do no good to give them another year of eligibility that they already have. Now if they'd change the rule to six years then all would be eligible.

They do occasionally give a sixth year (Jason White and Ramon Flanigan come to mind) but it seems pretty rare, especially for a non-BCS school.

GrayEagle is correct. I attempted to explain this in another thread. There is a 5 year period for an athlete to compete in 4 seasons. I am almost positive that Shipley was the last one to be granted a sixth year and that was only because he was grandfathered into this rule. Its not a non BCS or BCS thing its the rule for all NCAA sports. A medical redshirt is really no different than a regular redshirt. There is no combining of the two.