Mike Canales

agw0038

I have never believed that Mike Canales was the savior of this football program. I did believe that he was far above what we had previously and the best OC available for what we could pay.

In spite of the Riley Dodge debacle, I still believe that. Chico is not infallible; no offensive coordinator is. Overall though he has produced more yardage than his opponents. He is generally unpredictable. You simply cannot expect him to run the same play in a similar situation. That's a breath of fresh air that we haven't had in at least 15 years.

Had Rice not had excellent field position, especially in the first half, Canales would not be coming under fire. His offense was enough to have won this game.

This game was lost by the (not so) special teams. They are responsible for field position and we simply did not have it, whether it be for the offense or the defense.

There were enough dropped passes to have put another 12-18 points on the board so it's hard to say that Canales' bad decisions on the Riley dives (if it were not an option) lost us the game.

As good as I think that he could be, I don't believe that it's time to even bring up his qualities as a head coach.

1 drive of Riley running some poorly called (or poorly read) plays is DEFINITELY NOT what cost us this game.

True, but why call the option read to Riley on 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter when you Dunbar in the backfield? Riley had 4 carries for 7 yards. I don't care who called it - it was bad.

Edited by Lurker

True, but why call the option read to Riley on 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter when you Dunbar in the backfield? Riley had 4 carries for 7 yards. I don't care who called it - it was bad.

That's a good, fair question. One that I don't have the answer to, but hopefully we don't see it again unless it is much more polished.

when we hired TD we knew he would bring some flare to our offense and that naturally we would put up a lot of points...

Canales, however, brings fluidity to our offense.... after TDs first two or three seasons i felt like our Offense started to become stagnant and predictable... MC has brought back the Mystique....

Even if its not Canales, the next HC of UNT will be hired from within...

after this stadium is finally up... are we not going to be dirt poor?

No way! Don't you know about the ugly windmills we will have at the new stadium? Combined with unicorn farts we will be able to save so much money on electricity we will be able to buy any coach we want!

That's a good, fair question. One that I don't have the answer to, but hopefully we don't see it again.

Corrected version of the answer. There is no way to polish what doesn't work.

Very disappointed in Canales. My football weenie was very soft after that play, given the field position and the constant iffy-ness of our punt squad.

Very disappointed in Canales. My football weenie was very soft after that play, given the field position and the constant iffy-ness of our punt squad.

Well, it DID work once for a first down earlier in the game. It's not like the package never ever works.

However, rather than working on this package, I hope the coaching staff is throwing extra resources at special teams during practice this week!

Well, it DID work once for a first down earlier in the game. It's not like the package never ever works.

However, rather than working on this package, I hope the coaching staff is throwing extra resources at special teams during practice this week!

This thread took a very strange turn just now...