U Of H Happy In Cusa For Now

Harry

A comparison are NFL owners who give their head coach the "vote of confidence" one week and then we read where said NFL owner fires their head coach the next week.

Today's NCAA? Don't bet your next pay check on what is being said from college presidents or some athletic directors. There are some you probably can believe, but the upper echelon of the NCAA is about jockeying for position at the expense of your fellow conference-mates. The very reason UNT needs to to whats best for itself since no one else is going to help advance our cause or future.

Our main sin(?) at UNT is that we didn't win a national championship back during the Depression and that we were not part of the "now defunct" Southwest Conference at any time of our history. Merely having 1 of those 2 (or both) seems to give some out there today some amazingingly undeserved and even unearned respect in my humble opinion. But...it is what it is and few seem to want to use other more sensible criteria when looking in a different direction for new league members.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Don't be fooled by the AD's comments supporting their CUSA membership, read between the lines:

Rhoades said. "I would suspect that the Mountain West Conference has to clear one hurdle — meaning BYU — before it worries about the next." Meaning call us when BYU says it is staying in the MWC.

UH would love to join TCU and BYU in a conference many think a step above CUSA.

Otherwise expect the MWC to go back to USU and/or UTEP as #11 and #12.

Geographically, yes,but outside of that are they the best fit?

"Best fit", like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.

UTEPs football attendance is higher.

UTEPs men's basketball attendance is higher.

UTEP has strong community support.

UTEP can make a strong resume.

"Best fit", like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.

UTEPs football attendance is higher.

UTEPs men's basketball attendance is higher.

UTEP has strong community support.

UTEP can make a strong resume.

Yeah, but UTEP's TV market? Probably doesn't matter because look at CUSA's flirtation with La "no TV market whatsoever" Tech? Last I read, the ESPN's of this world are really interested in conferences that have wide spread TV markets with schools in those markets who can actually pull good ratings in said TV market. :rolleyes:

GMG!

The time that I edited this post is in the humongous blue bar below. :P

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Yeah, but UTEP's TV market? Probably doesn't matter because look at CUSA's flirtation with La "no TV market whatsoever" Tech? Last I read, the ESPN's of this world are really interested in conferences that have wide spread TV markets with schools in those markets who can actually pull good ratings in said TV market. :rolleyes:

GMG!

El Paso is a deceptively small market because of physical geography. They're a border town, so the space south of them that would ordinarily count towards a DMA ranking doesn't factor in as population.

If El Paso got credit for as much of a radius as Chicago or Dallas (i.e.: including Juarez), they'd be a top 25 TV market.

GMG!

Good point, Plum, but the premise of this thread is who (if anyone) does the MWC take if Houston is not interested? And if UH is not interested, there aren't that many good choices.

Good point, Plum, but the premise of this thread is who (if anyone) does the MWC take if Houston is not interested? And if UH is not interested, there aren't that many good choices.

Utah State is doing major politicing to get another MWC invite. Their Prez along with Commish Benson of the WAC helped draw up BYU's escape plan into the WAC until it fell apart. If BYU stays in the MWC for football look for them to support USU's entry. I just don't see 10 western schools voting to travel further east when they can travel to Utah instead. Killing the WAC is not a consideration for them, or USU either at this point.