All He Does Is Catch Tds

Shuke-D

Been reading the (sparse) reactions to the game today. Let me begin by saying that, at most, I catch about a game a year live, so I really rely on the board for a more full understanding of what happens on the field as opposed to reading ESPN's stat sheet. So, if I've made any gross errors or over-generalizations here, please feel free to correct them.

It's pretty clear that, as a program, we are way down at the moment. Here's what I have gathered from today's posting:

1. Dodge manages recruiting, PR, and institutional values to a level not known since the Fry era.

2. Some people feel he is an exceptional high-caliber human being, who is on the cusp (and has been dating back to at least last year) of something unique and great in NT history.

3. That he was a bold, high-risk chance that RV took at a fragile moment in UNT football history. HUGE upside if things panned out, but nobody (or at least only a few) anticipated the weekly beatdowns the fans (and players) would be subjected to.

4. His recruiting to UNT is not to be questioned. Talent on the field in NO WAY matches what shows up on the scoreboard.

5. For whatever reason, be it bad game-planning schemes, in-game decisions, poor choice of Assistant Coaches, or just some flat out curse voodoo style, his teams keep losing games, in the waning moments, to inferior opponents.

My thought is this. Remember Cris Carter when he was with the Philadelphia Eagles? He made some great plays. But, Buddy Ryan let him go, uttering the famous phrase "All he does is catch TDs." Meaning, He has all the talent in the world, but doesn't handle the little, day to day stuff that makes great teams work, so he's not worth the hassle despite the glory. He did the essential important things right, but failed at the little things that are often overlooked.

Is Todge the Reverse Cris Carter? He does all the little things right. Pushing a sense of excitement and purpose in regards to UNT football? Check. Convincing talented 17-18 year old players with stars in their eyes that they should be a part of something new, exciting, and local instead of shipping off to foreign environs to gut it out from the bench for a shot at NFL stardom? Check. Convincing potential donors that this new venture is the next big thing in the Metroplex and worth supporting? Jury still out on that, but we’re in a position on that front we haven’t been before.

My question is not really a question. If he is let go, how will he be remembered? As a complete failure? Or the guy who did all the little things that made it possible for someone else to come in and raise this program to a level it had not been before, despite not being able to deliver on the big, essential things, like winning? I really, really don’t know. Is he the reverse Cris Carter?

It’s an odd feeling for me reading the boards right now. As a school, we seem to be at a lower point than ever before. However, part of the complaints are based on the idea that we have so much talent, momentum with the stadium, that we cannot afford not to let this guy go. Even though he is responsible for much of that.

Again, not making a pointed statement. You guys watch the games more than I do. I’m really confused and curious about where we are currently at and where we could be next year. Just wanted to float this out there.