Germaine Dawson

untcampbell

I want to thank Brett Vito for the last night's blog entry, "Remembering Germaine Dawson."

Sometimes I get so caught up in performance and what the coach or kid did or did not do on the field that I don't take time to get to know what they did off the field. Thanks Brett for bringing his story to my attention.

From this story, I learned Germaine wanted to coach kids after graduation, that he spent a great deal of time and effort attempting to positively influence young folks on life issues, through football camps and as a big brother in the BB/BS program. I learned he came to NT without a scholarship (based on a promise that he would get an offer if NT had a scholarship to give), but quickly earned one. I learned he worked hard and wanted to do his best for NT, regardless of his position on the field or whether he started or not.

I learned he was motivated to HELP the team however he could. He did.

And his story positively influenced me in a lot of ways.

And I couldn't help but wonder if yesterday's practice was cancelled based on the news of Germaine's death.

To those that love him and know him, that are hurting today and will hurt for a long time to come, prayers for peace, prayers for closure, prayers for a timely and thorough mourning.

I want to thank Brett Vito for the last night's blog entry, "Remembering Germaine Dawson."

Sometimes I get so caught up in performance and what the coach or kid did or did not do on the field that I don't take time to get to know what they did off the field. Thanks Brett for bringing his story to my attention.

From this story, I learned Germaine wanted to coach kids after graduation, that he spent a great deal of time and effort attempting to positively influence young folks on life issues, through football camps and as a big brother in the BB/BS program. I learned he came to NT without a scholarship (based on a promise that he would get an offer if NT had a scholarship to give), but quickly earned one. I learned he worked hard and wanted to do his best for NT, regardless of his position on the field or whether he started or not.

I learned he was motivated to HELP the team however he could. He did.

And his story positively influenced me in a lot of ways.

And I couldn't help but wonder if yesterday's practice was cancelled based on the news of Germaine's death.

To those that love him and know him, that are hurting today and will hurt for a long time to come, prayers for peace, prayers for closure, prayers for a timely and thorough mourning.

It was a good story. I thought it was great to hear how Dickey gave him his scholarship - class act.

Practice was cancelled because of his death.