Recruiting Musings

GrandGreen

I am always amazed this time of year, how there is almost universal glee directed toward the latest recruiting class. No matter were the class is rated or how many reaches are included, fans see visions of All Americans and greatly improved teams. NT status with the rating services has been well documented by Vito, with NT behind at least eight of the Texas teams and not remotely close to the Belt's Troy. Of course, it is hard to keep up with Troy who thus far has listed 41 signees. I really don't think many expected NT with all the on and off field issues to have a good year when it came to the recruiting services' ratings. I do think that under the circumstances, that Dodge and staff did well especially when compared to previous staffs. Instead of bemoaning the state of NT program and choosing among those with few other options, it appears to me that Dodge and staff really scrambled and assembled what I think will be a very Belt competitive class.

Has NT ever signed 10 out of state players? Has any Texas team ever signed five Louisiana players, much less four from New Orleans? All the Louisiana schools rely heavily on Texas recruits, it seems strange going the other way. I have always wondered particularly when DD heavily mined Oklahoma, why he didn't do the same in Louisiana. Although Louisiana is farther from Denton, it has a lot more players than Oklahoma, NT has a good presence there playing in the Belt and with the obvious exception of LSU should be able to recruit with all the state's universities.

NT generally signed the players in the need positions, but I was a little surprised at some of position numbers. I would have liked to see another QB, although Dodge has got me convinced that NT got an excellent candidate. I did wonder about Dodge's comment about not recruiting a QB unless they had followed him over a long period. Seemed strange that NT would limit itself by not following more QBs if that much scrutiny is really needed and also seemed to ignore that Vizza and in fact the whole first class was put together in weeks. Dodge managed to get his usual large class of receivers with by my count 6 who would be tried at that position. Anyone else wonder about Dodge's statement that he would only have nine wide receivers on scholarship? Bringing a juco in at offensive lineman and the number of corner backs also was a little puzzling. The offensive line seems relatively loaded, so Bean must be considered a very good prospect. Although the corner-backs were extremely exploited last year, the position had numbers and a lot of potential. I would have also like for NT to got another linebacker, the squad seems very thin. I do look for the two NT signed to both play this year.

I did wonder about Dodge's comment about not recruiting a QB unless they had followed him over a long period. Seemed strange that NT would limit itself by not following more QBs if that much scrutiny is really needed and also seemed to ignore that Vizza and in fact the whole first class was put together in weeks.

And what happened to a lot of that class, Vizza included? I would normally agree with you, but looking at recent history, it makes sense to not try and force something. I am not saying that Dodge's first class was bad, but we have lost a lot of that class.