When And Where Does Club Baseball Play?

oldguystudent

Guest GrayEagleOne

The web site hasn't been updated in a couple of years but this is what I could find out.

North Texas plays in a conference (Gulf States - North) with Texas Tech, SMU and Baylor. They will only play 8 home games in 2009. The first is the week of/following Feb. 9 against Baylor. The second is also a three game series with Texas Tech during the week of Feb. 16. They play a two game series with SMU the week of 3/30.

I believe that they kickoff the season travelling to A&M in January.

As to where they play, I believe that the name of the park is Mack Park. It is located on McKinney Avenue, somewhere close to Loop 288.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

When I played, which was awhile back (99-00), we did play at Mack Park on McKinney. Back then our competition was generally other club teams from schools, such as ours, lacking a D1 team. Occasionally we did play club teams from schools such as UT and A&M. If I remember correctly UT was pretty good, but A&M was horrible, and we beat them something like 19-1. We frequently played SMU since they're in the same situation as us. We used to play in about three or four tournaments a season. One was in New Orleans (we won that one), one was in Austin, and we hosted one in Denton as well. Basically the team plays at about the junior college level. In my day we played a few very good actual NJCAA teams that were not club teams, and they seemed pretty evenly matched with us.

When I played, which was awhile back (99-00), we did play at Mack Park on McKinney. Back then our competition was generally other club teams from schools, such as ours, lacking a D1 team. Occasionally we did play club teams from schools such as UT and A&M. If I remember correctly UT was pretty good, but A&M was horrible, and we beat them something like 19-1. We frequently played SMU since they're in the same situation as us. We used to play in about three or four tournaments a season. One was in New Orleans (we won that one), one was in Austin, and we hosted one in Denton as well. Basically the team plays at about the junior college level. In my day we played a few very good actual NJCAA teams that were not club teams, and they seemed pretty evenly matched with us.

Yeah we would play in a tournament or two when I played. We played in a tournament at Rice in '05-'06 and stayed down there for that.

OK, now that I've got some of you former players on this thread, I've got some questions.

First and foremost is what draws you to a club sport and what ability level player typically joins? The big club sport at Irvine was rugby, and they did very well, but the team was made up almost entirely of kids that had never even seen the sport let alone played it. Conversely, I'd imagine most of you have fairly substantial backgrounds in baseball. If you're playing at the level of a good JUCO team, did some of you consider playing at lower division schools? Although I never really got to play it (the reasons for that are long, convoluted and best suited for another discussion), baseball has been my true sporting love my entire life. So I can understand wanting to play as long as possible if you've got the tools to do so.

Second. Do you get sponsors for your uniforms, park fees, and travel expenses? Seems like that would get pretty costly. What about the umpires at the games? Where do you get them and are they compensated?

Third. How do I score me an official UNT club baseball game ready cap? I used to have a team issue cap from the first incarnation of UCI's team that a pitcher gave to me, but my dumbass stoner roommate put it on and went off on some distant binge of multiple intoxicants and lost it. I miss that hat.

Finally, I hope you'll all forgive me that UCI is coming out for a baseball tournament in Waco the same weekend as the Sunbelt basketball tourney. I gots to go watch my beloved anteaters whenever the opportunity arises. So far, since I've lived in Texas, they've come to play somewhere within driving distance each year, and I've gone each time. For those of you who've met the kid, UCI baseball is her favorite thing in the world. She actually flies to CA to go watch them in Irvine and travels with me in this region when they come out here.

Next stop for her is UNT softball. Not so much my cup of tea, but I feel I should introduce her to women's sports as well. You should have heard the things she had to say about women's basketball vs. men's basketball though. I thought I was sitting with my old Sicilian Mr. Macho grandfather!

What drew me in was the table they had in the Super Pit when I went to freshman orientation. I had played in high school and had some minor success so I thought I could do ok on this team. You'll also get all the horrible players on this team as well, but those guys keep it fun. Prices were pretty reasonable since everything went through the student recreation center.

OK, now that I've got some of you former players on this thread, I've got some questions.

First and foremost is what draws you to a club sport and what ability level player typically joins? The big club sport at Irvine was rugby, and they did very well, but the team was made up almost entirely of kids that had never even seen the sport let alone played it. Conversely, I'd imagine most of you have fairly substantial backgrounds in baseball. If you're playing at the level of a good JUCO team, did some of you consider playing at lower division schools? Although I never really got to play it (the reasons for that are long, convoluted and best suited for another discussion), baseball has been my true sporting love my entire life. So I can understand wanting to play as long as possible if you've got the tools to do so.

Second. Do you get sponsors for your uniforms, park fees, and travel expenses? Seems like that would get pretty costly. What about the umpires at the games? Where do you get them and are they compensated?

Third. How do I score me an official UNT club baseball game ready cap? I used to have a team issue cap from the first incarnation of UCI's team that a pitcher gave to me, but my dumbass stoner roommate put it on and went off on some distant binge of multiple intoxicants and lost it. I miss that hat.

Finally, I hope you'll all forgive me that UCI is coming out for a baseball tournament in Waco the same weekend as the Sunbelt basketball tourney. I gots to go watch my beloved anteaters whenever the opportunity arises. So far, since I've lived in Texas, they've come to play somewhere within driving distance each year, and I've gone each time. For those of you who've met the kid, UCI baseball is her favorite thing in the world. She actually flies to CA to go watch them in Irvine and travels with me in this region when they come out here.

Next stop for her is UNT softball. Not so much my cup of tea, but I feel I should introduce her to women's sports as well. You should have heard the things she had to say about women's basketball vs. men's basketball though. I thought I was sitting with my old Sicilian Mr. Macho grandfather!

I watched 3 series this fall. The current team is pretty good, pitching is above average for club team level and they seemed fairly deep in arms. Saw 5 or 6 different guys pitch and all did well. Defense was good, had two good, mobile catchers. I understand they practice quite a bit in-season. Hitting was decent, however this fall it seemed everyone's (UNT and competition) hitting was behind the pitchers' levels. They schedule clubs like Nebraska, SMU, Rice, so they do play large schools with large student talent pools to draw from. All and all, they seem to be good guys, and seem to enjoy the games. Commitment level seems high for the current bunch. The team submits and estimated budget for the school year that must be approved, and usually covers most of the fees and expenses as I understand it. I know the student-coach, if you can't find his contact info through the rec program at the school, PM me and I'll try to get you hooked up with him. Might have a hat or two left over if the rosters allow. The games I saw were at Mac park.

nana21...where in the world have you been? Or, are you just trying to get me going again? Ha! The UNT 'should start a D1 baseball program" has been on and off this board for ages....and I alwys add my 2 cents worth in that...UNT SHOULD ADD MEN'S SOCCER FIRST....Ha! Just couldn't resist the opening to do that.

Ho Ho Ho and GO MEAN GREEN!!! :D

• 1 month later...

When and where is the first game in Denton this spring? I would love to go support NT baseball. Do they sell merchendise? I would love a NT baseball cap or shirt.

Go Mean Green

OK, tell us all where they play, when and what time, and I'll even try to make it to a game or two. College baseball is one ton more fun to watch than the pros. I know, some of you have now fainted dead away.

GO MEAN GREEN!