Nt Daily Ad

UNTflyer

Corporations spend money on advertising to get their name out to the public. Do you realize how many vehicles pass by the area where the new stadium will be? It doesn't matter how many games on TV, attendance or even the record of the team, the number of cars (eyeballs) is enormous. That is what these sponsors are looking at. They will be getting a huge bang for their advertising dollar. Also, I work at a huge national company and see the budgets for the entire corp. We spend so much on advertising we could pay for a new stadium many times over with one years advertising budget. Companies spend a ton of money to advertise, in good economic times and in bad.

If you won't listen to me, maybe Roger Goodell can help you see what I am trying to say. Interesting article, see below:

PRO SPORTS

Pro leagues facing economic pinch

NFL, Formula One, soccer leaders express concern.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Thursday, October 09, 2008

The professional sports world is feeling the pinch of the economic downturn.

The NFL faces challenges, commissioner Roger Goodell said in San Antonio on Wednesday.

Responding to questions during a business leaders luncheon, Goodell said the NFL is not recession-proof, citing stadium financing and struggles by the league's sponsors as specific problems.

European soccer teams burdened with heavy debts could be banned from competitions if they fail to deal with their financial problems.

Formula One's future is at stake because of the global credit crunch, and the auto racing circuit's leading figures are trying to find a way to cut costs in a sport long linked to celebrities, glamour and big money.

Goodell said borrowing money has become difficult and expensive as credit has tightened, potentially hampering stadium projects, and many companies that the league relies on for sponsorships have had to cut back.

Fans, worried about their household finances, are feeling the effects also, he said.

"We're all feeling the pinch right now, some more than others, and it's something we want to remain sensitive to," Goodell said, speaking at the University of the Incarnate Word.

San Antonio wants an NFL franchise, but Goodell said expanding the number of teams isn't being seriously considered.

David Taylor, general secretary of European soccer's governing body, warned that teams with heavy debts would face the "ultimate sanction."

The first meeting exploring how to overhaul the license requirements to enter UEFA competitions will be held Monday, although there is no timetable for its implementation.

"Let there be no doubt, we are not sitting idly by," Taylor said. "We are looking at strengthening the minimal financial criteria and other forms of self regulation that may impose greater standard on clubs that want to compete in European competitions and beyond that club football.

"The whole concept of financial fair play is about living within your means and your resources, which can also mean having debt but being able to service that debt."

Max Mosley, Formula One's president, and Luca di Montezemolo, who chairs the body that represents Formula One's 10 teams, met Wednesday to start discussions on how the sport will navigate this crisis.

Mosley warned at the meeting in Nice, France, that if drastic cost reductions aren't in place within two years the $4.7 billion F1 empire could be in peril.

"It has become apparent, long before the current difficulties, that Formula One was unsustainable," Mosley said Tuesday. "It really is a very serious situation. If we can't get this done for 2010, we will be in serious difficulty."

Mosley is championing budget caps and hybrid technology, hoping they will keep F1 significant to the average fan unimpressed by the spectacle of racing at night in Singapore or around the famous street course of Monaco.

"The days when they could just toss out the 100, 200, 300 million euros a year, which is what Formula One costs those big companies, I think they are finished," Mosley said.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Murchison Performing Arts Center was built at UNT for a cost of $17 million and is a showpiece for the university. A new stadium could play the same role. When students use the current record of the team as justification not to back it, it makes me wonder whether they'd change their vote if the team was 3-2 or 4-1. Surely what's being decided here is bigger than the current won-loss record of the team.

Your right rcade. However, the Murchison's and the Winspears' paid a big part of this. I just do not believe we have those kind of deep pockets for athletics.

Why would a corporation sponsor us? No real tv coverage, bearly 15K in attendance, under funded program which has got to improve. RV says we can't throw pennies while others throw dollars at a program and he is right. A corporation can get just as much advertising for a lot less than $20 million with billboards at 35 and 35E. You just think that this stadium is just the fix all, and its not.

I get it, you don't.

First off, this fee is to properly fund the department, not just build a stadium.

Second, a corporation willing to dump say $1 million per year for thirty years for naming rights is getting a heck of a deal. Not only will their name be on the stadium, which will draw much more attention than another billboard, where the two I35's meet exposing them to thousands of cars daily, but their name will be mentioned on every future televised game numerous times, on every radio broadcast from the games, written in every game write-up, blog, etc... locally, regionally and nationally.

Nobody claims the stadium is a fix all, but it will sure change the perception of North Texas and NT's committment to excellence. What kind of message does Fouts Field send to the thousands that pass by it daily? I would be pretty confident that a LEED certified brand new stadium will deliver a different message, not ony to those passing by, but to prospective students.

Pretty arogant stating that you get and nobody else does.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I hate to break up Green Dozer's eulogy but let me interject this argument. Even if the student's approve the fee (which we all know is primarily for the stadium) and the Board of Regents and/or the State Legislature don't think that the donor money is significant to back it up, then it won't happen. The University of North Texas has the highest rating given for bonds but our BOR is not about to jeopardize that if they don't have pretty good assurance that the funds can be raised.

There are only about three or four people that know even approximately where we would stand on donations and sponsorships and none of them post on this board. Speculate all you want but in the final analysis it won't amount to a hill of beans. Further, if you're wrong you'll be asked to eat crow at every post that you will make. Even if your are right and the referendum is defeated you won't be able to gloat because we will never know who was willing to pony up.

I hate to break up Green Dozer's eulogy but let me interject this argument. Even if the student's approve the fee (which we all know is primarily for the stadium) and the Board of Regents and/or the State Legislature don't think that the donor money is significant to back it up, then it won't happen. The University of North Texas has the highest rating given for bonds but our BOR is not about to jeopardize that if they don't have pretty good assurance that the funds can be raised.

There are only about three or four people that know even approximately where we would stand on donations and sponsorships and none of them post on this board. Speculate all you want but in the final analysis it won't amount to a hill of beans. Further, if you're wrong you'll be asked to eat crow at every post that you will make. Even if your are right and the referendum is defeated you won't be able to gloat because we will never know who was willing to pony up.

Right on! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!

First off, this fee is to properly fund the department, not just build a stadium.

Second, a corporation willing to dump say $1 million per year for thirty years for naming rights is getting a heck of a deal. Not only will their name be on the stadium, which will draw much more attention than another billboard, where the two I35's meet exposing them to thousands of cars daily, but their name will be mentioned on every future televised game numerous times, on every radio broadcast from the games, written in every game write-up, blog, etc... locally, regionally and nationally.

Nobody claims the stadium is a fix all, but it will sure change the perception of North Texas and NT's committment to excellence. What kind of message does Fouts Field send to the thousands that pass by it daily? I would be pretty confident that a LEED certified brand new stadium will deliver a different message, not ony to those passing by, but to prospective students.

Pretty arogant stating that you get and nobody else does.

Oh, yea the attitude is that the stadium is the fix all. Come on Lifer, it is being used as an excuse for our record. And no, there is not a corportation out there that is going to dump a million dollars a year to put a sign up. Sorry! And we are going to have to improve a lot to have "future televised game numerous times". Local Channel 21 will not cut it with the big boys on another channel. And LEED, please. Maybe we can sell a box to Al Gore.

Yea, it is an arrogant statement, but it is unrealistic thinking that this program is going to change as much as you believe in the near future. Lifer, i just don't see it.

I just do not believe the donor support is at such a level, nor can it get there anytime soon, to make this program successful.

No offense intended, GreenDozer, but if you feel that way why are you here? If I was certain that UNT wouldn't be successful, I'd drop this board, drop my Exes and Mean Green Club memberships, and pretend I was a University of Florida alumni.

We may not have to raise it, but you had better have solid answers as to where funds are coming from. Think this through. Lets say the vote passes, and it goes to the legislature? They are going to look at it, and say there will be payments due before the student fee kicks in.

No, they won't. It is not their job to scrutinize potential projects when approving a fee voted on by the students. That is the job of the Board of Regents.

No, they won't. It is not their job to scrutinize potential projects when approving a fee voted on by the students. That is the job of the Board of Regents.

Well, somebody will scrutinize it, why does it make any difference who does it. And you can bet the Board of Regents is not going to lay their necks out unless they have been shown the money. Even Rick said today in his reply to the daily that the donors would have to step up. This stadium is not going to happen until then. You know what, I really hope you are right and I am the won that is wrong. This is not about us, it is about the future of our football program, plain and simple. I hope in 2011 that you are on interviewed on ESPN Gameday for your work. Thanks for your efforts, again, I just do not agree with how it is being presented.