Stadium Replacement

3XNTGRAD

According to the "Story of North Texas", UNT built eleven buildings in 1950-1952, including Fouts. As a comparison in light of the need to replace Fouts, what has been the fate of these other buildings from that time period?

1950 - Lab School - demolished (I'm assuming this building was the old "Houston Hall" that was destroyed for the parking garage to be built)

1950 - Men's Gymnasium - refurbished and still in use

1951 - Masters Hall - demolished in 2008 to make way for new Life Science Complex

1951 - Women's Gym - still in use

1951-1952 - Quadrangle Dormitories and cafeteria (5 buildings total) - Cafeteria and one quad demolished, 2 Quads totally renovated for Music Practice, another renovated (so 3 of 5 still in use)

1952 - Kendall Hall - scheduled for demolition 2009 to make way for new Business complex

1952 - Fouts

So, of the 10 other buildings built at the same time as Fouts, 5 have been or will shortly be demolished. 3 of them have been renovated (two extensively) and re-purposed. Only two of the 10 are still in use in a way similar to their original purpose.

It is fairly obvious from this list that things designed 58 years ago don't fit the present needs of the university and should be either replaced or re-purposed when possible. Since there is no other purpose that Fouts can serve, replacement of this outdated infrastructure is the only real solution.

Okay - I know I'm preaching to the choir, but just thought the comparison would be interesting.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The Lab School location is now occupied by the Music Annex. I don't know if it was demolished or simply refurbished.

Your point is well taken. Ken Bahnsen Gym (Men's Gym) and Fouts are the only structures standing from that period. If the Men's Gym was still the main basketball venue then I'm sure that it would've been replaced long ago.

By the way, Bain Hall (the quad closest to Ken Bahnsen Gym) is also scheduled for demolition.