Fort Worth S-t Blog

flyeater

I am not sure a new coach losing NT's most heralded incoming freshman recruit and now putting her best returning player on suspension is exactly the way you want to start a new program. Is it toughness or inexperience?

Both were Slinker's players. Sounds like she wants her own troops in the games.

Most heralded player? Hmmm according to whom? I don't think our new coach makes her own decisions regarding player talent.

Well, how many all state players are in that class, not to mention have a state championship in the high jump? Note, I stated the most heralded incoming freshman not most heralded player on the team. Obviously, being the most acclaimed recruit does not necessarily translate into ultimately being the best player or even a good player.

I don't think many know at this point why Stephens has had two publicized player issues. Are these instances necessary to hone the team to the high level that she wants or is it something else? These actions may very well turn out to be in the best interest of the team; but I don't see losing a recruit or putting your star player, a fifth year senior, on suspension as particularly positive signs. Hopefully, Stephens will start a women's basketball dynasty at NT beginning with a good team this year.

I don't think many know at this point why Stephens has had two publicized player issues. Are these instances necessary to hone the team to the high level that she wants or is it something else? These actions may very well turn out to be in the best interest of the team; but I don't see losing a recruit or putting your star player, a fifth year senior, on suspension as particularly positive signs. Hopefully, Stephens will start a women's basketball dynasty at NT beginning with a good team this year.

I think all coaches go through this when there is a change and they inherit players from a previous coach. Dodge had this also happen and it got very ugly with a couple displeased players.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think all coaches go through this when there is a change and they inherit players from a previous coach. Dodge had this also happen and it got very ugly with a couple displeased players.

Most coaches try to keep the best players from the team that they inherited. Make no mistake, Amber Jackson was the most heralded player from last year and returning this year. She led in scoring and rebounds and was among the top in the other categories. Others may have more potential but she's the most proven.

If Amber leaves, what will her former teammates think? It may depend on how well Amber was liked and I sure don't know that. She still has a year to play before she can get her players on board. The two transfers may be great players but they have to sit out 2008-09. As good as they appear to be, they do not have the Division I stats that Amber Jackson has.

Coach Stephens might be right in what she did but it just doesn't look good when you have trouble with your best player right off of the bat.

GrandGreen is absolutely right to pose the question...is it toughness or inexperience?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Has it been established that there is a conflict between Amber Jackson and a coach?

Often suspensions are the result of low grades, missing study hall, or being absent or tardy at team practice or weight sessions.

True, we don't know but I can't recall anyone getting suspended for missing a study hall. Talked to...yes. But, suspended....no. This is the first week of school so surely she can't have any low grades yet. She also managed to stay eligible all of last year so it doesn't seem very feasible that she is a scholastic problem.

Suspension smacks of being very serious and it reflects poorly on Amber Jackson when it's made public. It appears that Amber is a troublemaker or may have violated the law. Basketball season is still more than two months away so why should this be public knowledge?