Csua Expansion Article

I dont see this happening but makes for an interesting read..

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/MUSports/200805190089

He makes several valid points, mainly about rivalries, geography and the fuel costs for travel. Two larger divisions, each closer geographically, within the same conference would serve to solve many of the issues that a spread out conference like CUSA or SBC have to endure now.

He makes several valid points, mainly about rivalries, geography and the fuel costs for travel. Two larger divisions, each closer geographically, within the same conference would serve to solve many of the issues that a spread out conference like CUSA or SBC have to endure now.

Here's the thing.

Marshall and ECU complain about the cost of travel to Texas but there isn't any school interested in CUSA that is a really big travel saving for either school. They can cut the travel a bit but not dramatically.

Here's the thing.

Marshall and ECU complain about the cost of travel to Texas but there isn't any school interested in CUSA that is a really big travel saving for either school. They can cut the travel a bit but not dramatically.

He makes the point that Marshall fans would probably rather make a short trip to MTSU or WKU and see a game in person than watch a game on TV vs SMU, implying that the distance and travel is the main issue, and I agree. Same with UNT and the Fu's, too far for a conference game. My rule of thumb for a conference/division is the game should be driveable to/from in one day for a fan to attend the game, or about 450 miles max. apart.

With all these CUSA discussions....I see very little to no mention or interest in NT. To me UNT and CUSA is a far far reality and that many on this board has false hopes of getting in. I really think we need to look elsewhere and push for something else like the MWC or WAC. Uh oh...I mentioned the WAC again :ph34r:

Here's the crystal ball.

All this crap is going to be somewhat sorted out within the next two years. 2010 is when Notre Dame's contract with NBC expires.

Either Notre Dame joins the Big Ten, or the Big Ten plucks a school from the Big East; probably Syracuse or Rutgers.

The Big East reacts by raiding CUSA for up to 5 schools to bring their football membership to an even dozen like the other BCS leagues. The 5 eastern CUSA programs that have strong fan support would be the obvious targets.

Most of the remaining non BCS teams in the southern US will probably form a combined conference with a couple possibly going to the MAC and one western school joining the MWC. A couple of remaining football programs will possibly be discontinued or drop to a less expensive division.

It won't be please everyone, but it will be the best home available for all the 'smaller' programs that regularly have crowds less than 30,000.

Life will go on.

More schools will plan to move up to 1-A again when the door opens; even some startups like South Ala and UTSA are already talking about it. I can eventually see the day ahead when the BCS splits from the non-BCS further, but continues to play each other, similar to a reverse of the old AFL/NFL days. Maybe some year the BCS champ will play the non-BCS champ for the National Championship. The non-BCS schools really need to start thinking now about forming their own, improved version of the NCAA.