Fw*tele..school Investigations Clears Dodge, Staff

OldTimer

School investigation on racial allegations clears Dodge, staff

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

North Texas officials released late Wednesday their findings of an investigation into allegations of racial bias against head football coach Todd Dodge and members of his coaching staff.

UNT found that two suspended players and one former player -- all of whom filed a joint complaint last week with the Texas NAACP -- were not victims of inequitable treatment based on race or any other reason.

Dodge, who couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday, said Tuesday the matter was closed as far as he was concerned.

"I've talked to my team and let them know what I thought," Dodge said. "It was important they know how it made me and my coaching staff feel. We won't talk about it anymore."

In a statement released by the university, UNT President Gretchen M. Bataille said Dodge and his staff "continue to have my unwavering support."

"The university took the students' allegations seriously, and immediately launched an investigation that now has been completed," Bataille said.

"The investigation revealed no discriminatory behavior, nor any pattern of racial bias in the decision-making and communication of the UNT football coaching staff, nor any within the football program as a whole."

Bataille went on to say, "The investigation also concluded that one of the football players was suspended not for the use of his speech or slang, but rather for behaviors that violated the conduct expected of team players."

One of the players bringing the complaint, cornerback Desmon Chatman, was suspended more than a month ago by Dodge for missing a workout.

Chatman, who was interviewed as part of the investigation but did not submit a written statement to the university, claimed initially his punishment didn't fit the crime.

According to UNT's findings, Chatman was suspended for "missing the practice and misrepresenting his whereabouts during the practice session."

Cornerback Dominique Green, who first notified the NAACP, a newspaper and several television stations, was suspended Oct. 28 after refusing to stop using profanity after being taken out of game the night before against Middle Tennessee, Dodge said.

Green claimed that his use of the word "hood" -- slang for a neighborhood -- prompted his suspension after assistant coach Clayton George disapproved of the word.

Dodge and George said Green's "insubordination and the accumulated instances of poor attitude" were the reasons for Green's suspension.

It was the second strike for Green this season, who didn't play in UNT's first two games for disciplinary reasons.

Not long after returning, he was elevated from a backup to a starting position.

Former player Gary Oubre, another cornerback, joined the complaint late last week.

NAACP officials postponed two campus visits with the three players last Thursday and Monday.

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760

tphillips@star-telegram.com

The angel on my left shoulder says the NAACP knows there is nothing to this that falls in their territory and they will counsel the young men to cool it.

The devil on my right shoulder says the NAACP is picking their time to create the biggest stink possible, maybe a demonstration this weekend at Fouts.

The angel on my left shoulder says the NAACP knows there is nothing to this that falls in their territory and they will counsel the young men to cool it.

The devil on my right shoulder says the NAACP is picking their time to create the biggest stink possible, maybe a demonstration this weekend at Fouts.

Dude, switch to decaf.