Looking For A Silver Lining

Smitty

FIRST AND FOREMOST: there is absolutely nothing that can come out of accusations of racism that will make this ordeal worth it for Coach Dodge, his staff, and the program. Nothing.

However, I wonder if something positive that could eventually emerge.

First, I hope this situation will bring this team closer together. I do not mean to compare the situations, but look at how the New England Patriots have reacted to the perceived injustice done to their coach and the team's legacy. Even though there is no doubt that Bellichek did cheat, his team has rallied around him and is punishing the entire league every week. Perhaps we will see a similar reaction from the North Texas players.

Second, this situation seems to be bringing the fan base back together a bit. The differences between so many of the fans have at least diminished this week, I think in part due to the nature of the accusations, but maybe moreso because we are all starting to realize just what the new staff has had to deal with this year. Installing a new system and teaching it to a team for the first time is tough enough, but it begins to sound like the introduction of increased discipline has been met with some resistance. Resistance from a very, very few players who fail to buy into the system and the staff's implementation of discipline and personal responsibility could easily disrupt a team (look at what T.O. did to the 49ers and Eagles). This is not to make excuses for a 1-7 start, but do I wonder if the disruptive influence of a few has at least contributed to the team's struggles and inconsistency this season, and it seems that a significant task this year is discovering who is on board and who is not.

IF these accusations prove to be false, IF the team is brought closer together, and IF the fans' will to stand with the coaches and stay the course is strengthened, then something positive will have come of this.

IF these accusations prove to be false, then we need to ROAR our support of the team and coaches when they come onto the field to face Navy. Vocal and visual support the likes of which Fouts Field has never seen. GREEN OUT the stadium. Wear your green, get into the stadium early, and when the team comes out of the tunnel, get on your feet and build the noise to a crescendo that will let the team know we are behind them. Then keep that intensity up throughout the game.

But, IF these accusations prove to be false, then nothing can sufficiently compensate Coach Dodge and his staff for enduring this kind of slander. I just hope that there will be a silver lining down the road.