Why Throw Deep?

kj86

We were moving the ball quite well throughout the game...6-8 yards a play on passes and Jamario runs. Then, suddenly, when we reach the 40, it's "Let's toss all that out and heave it into the endzone." Stick with what's working until they show they can stop it.

Other observations...

Defensive line was disappointing. The secondary looked great and would've looked even better if the line had put just a little pressure on the QB.

Offensive line looked pretty good. They should've used the same group on punts.

Our guys looked beat in the second half. Don't know if this was because FAU made some adjustments that made us look bad or if it was a conditioning issue.

Guest GrayEagleOne

We were moving the ball quite well throughout the game...6-8 yards a play on passes and Jamario runs. Then, suddenly, when we reach the 40, it's "Let's toss all that out and heave it into the endzone." Stick with what's working until they show they can stop it.

Other observations...

Defensive line was disappointing. The secondary looked great and would've looked even better if the line had put just a little pressure on the QB.

Our guys looked beat in the second half. Don't know if this was because FAU made some adjustments that made us look bad or if it was a conditioning issue.

Usually, the main reason that you do that is because they're giving stronger coverage to short throws (because they don't believe that you will go deep). By going deep at times they won't cheat on short passes. It opens up the defense and spreads the field.

The defensive line is good against the run but doesn't put much pressure on the passer. The one that I did notice moving the passer out of the pocket a few times was Eddrick Gilmore. He may be a little stale or out of shape but he's a force. He often was double-teamed because we don't blitz. Pressure usually comes from linebackers/safeties. Their defensive line didn't pressure Meager much either until 8-10 seconds into the play (except for those going by Venegas).

I agree that the offensive line (especially Drake, Santiago and Bailey) really looked good.

I believe that they were penalty free except for Drake moving downfield to block on a pass play. In his defense, Meager was flushed out of the pocket and usually when that happened Meager would run the ball.

I'm not sure about the conditioning. I think that most are in pretty good shape. But, (and this is only my belief...no facts), I think that Meager gets arm weary from throwing so much. His passes early in the game seem to have more zip on them. By the second half he seems to get more air under the ball. I'm not sure, but I believe that all seven of his interceptions came in the second half.

Other observations...

Did you ever notice in the 2nd half how we couldn't hit those 6-8 yard passes? What worked in the 1st half no longer was there in the 2nd. Their D made some transitions. They forced us to hit over the top.

Yes they started to cover the sidelines the second half & that opened up the middle. I sorry that Danny did not take advantage of that change!

Meager doesn't have a strong enough arm to throw deep consistently, much less put the ball in the right place if the receiver is well-covered or double-covered. The deep throws were a mistake. Danny has to learn how to read these plays or he will be picked off every time he tries them.