U N T Lands Vernon D B Williams

Football: UNT lands Vernon DB Williams

08:10 AM CDT on Friday, June 1, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

An opportunity to play for North Texas proved to be too tempting for Vernon safety Darien Williams to pass up.

Williams was being recruited heavily by Rice and was also receiving interest from Arizona, TCU and Tulsa and could have waited to see what transpired during his senior season.

Williams ended the recruiting process early instead and orally committed to play for UNT. Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits in the Class of 2008 can sign letters of intent is Feb. 7.

“North Texas was the first school that offered me and it was a good fit,” Williams said. “It’s close to home and I think I will be able to get some playing time early on instead of waiting at other schools. I am not afraid of competition, but it seems like there is an opportunity.”

Williams (5-11, 188) was a first-team All-District 6-3A selection at safety as a junior last season and was a second-team pick as a sophomore. He is expected to start for the third straight season in the fall.

UNT’s coaches told Williams that they project him as a safety in college.

“Darien is like another coach on the field,” Vernon coach Keith Hall said. “He is a ferocious hitter and has 4.5 or 4.6 speed [in the 40-yard dash], but his best asset is his intelligence.”

Williams finished with 135 tackles in 15 games last season, when he helped lead Vernon to the Class 3A Division II state semifinals, where the Lions lost to Celina.

UNT received an oral commitment from Celina lineman Troy Franklin earlier this week, in addition to Dallas Hillcrest’s Willie Taylor, who UNT coaches project as a slot receiver.

Williams is expected to play a large role in Vernon’s efforts to make another deep playoff run in the fall when he will start at quarterback and safety for the Lions.

“I wanted to get everything out of the way and focus on my senior year,” Williams said.

Williams didn’t take long to consider an offer from UNT before he committed to the Mean Green.

“North Texas was the school that gave me an opportunity and showed that they wanted me,” Williams said. “I wanted to show that I appreciated it.”

Williams is the third player to commit to UNT early for its 2008 recruiting class.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

NORTH TEXAS 2008 COMMITMENTS

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for UNT beginning in the 2008 season

OL Troy Franklin Celina

WR Willie Taylor Dallas Hillcrest

S Darien Williams Vernon

“Darien is like another coach on the field,” Vernon coach Keith Hall said. “He is a ferocious hitter and has 4.5 or 4.6 speed [in the 40-yard dash], but his best asset is his intelligence.”

I hope this is accurate. I really like Weathers, but I sure do miss Jones and Buckles and the fear they placed in opposing receivers.