Who Is Our Rival

agw0038

i know we really dont have a "rival" but is there any school out there that could be considered one? UTA perhaps? they seemed to really not like us. Maybe TCU. but it might not be the same with that program not being very good. There's always the Fonies who, if scheduling allows will quickly again become again our most hated rival in football, might be our basketball rival as well. I like to see us play a team like U of H every year. They play so similar to the way we do and the makeup of the schools is very similar as well. i dunno. i know we need a great rivalry with somebody. That will bring fans, alumni, ESPN, and just money in general

Everybody tune in to the Sports fan 990 AM!

Considering this is on the Basketball board, if anyone is to become our big rival it would have to be LALA, every time we played last season it came down the the last minute except for the first round playoff game and I'm sure they would seek revenge for that.

Considering this is on the Basketball board, if anyone is to become our big rival it would have to be LALA, every time we played last season it came down the the last minute except for the first round playoff game and I'm sure they would seek revenge for that.

I think he means local rivals... in my eyes, anyone whose name is something other than North Texas is our rival. I would love to see local rivalries start/continue between UNT and SMU, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, UTA, Texas State, Houston, TCU, and maybe even Rice (BTW, we probably owe them a home game this season). UTA, Texas State, and Houston all brought fans to the Pit this past season, though Houston had a football thing going on in FT. Worth when we played them. Of course, UT and A&M would be great games and natural rivalries, but until we can fill the Pit they will probably not play home games here unless they have severe scheduling problems. Tulsa actually brought fans, but I wouldn't consider that a true local rivalry and I think they had enough of us given they lost each game in our series.

A lot of rivalries stem from conference play…though there are a few that are from non-conference. Long before tu and ou were in the big 12 south, they were SWC/Big 8.

If SMU/TCU/UTA et al had the guts to play us on a consistent basis. Or maybe JJ needs to start scheduling those teams in November/December. Get the home – and – home agreement long term. Those are local teams that we don’t have to travel too far to see. Better then traveling to Murfreesboro.

We all do. That's what makes it such a good rivalry.

Would be an even better rivalry if they didn't run from us and actually wanted to schedule us this year. I personally think it's pathetic that we have 4 DI schools that are all in a different conference, within a 30/40 mile radius ( SMU,TCU,UTA) and all don't play each other every year.

Wouldn't it be great if each year there were a 4 team tournament each holiday season to crown the "Metroplex Champion" ??

We all do. That's what makes it such a good rivalry.

That is not a rivalry. TCU is SMU's rival. One football game and two basketball games in the past 7 years does not make a rivalry...especially not with a program who has a clear rival. Its the Maryland-Duke-North Carolina love triangle I mentioned on here before. SMU does not care about us...so it would benefit everybody's credibility on here to stop pretending that there is a rivalry there...it would be great to have one 30 minutes away...it just isn't going to happen.

At our current juncture...we don't have a rivalry. New Mexico St was developing into one...but they left for WACkier pastures and they stopped returning our calls...bitch. If your looking for a basketball rivalry...we just now capitilized on our talent and became successful...and success breeds hatred...and thats our only hope of a rivalry developing with our void of a geographical neighbor. If ASU continues to excel while ULAR stays pathetic...MAYBE there will develop a bit of a rivalry there.

I think our best hope...in all sports...is that Troy's basketball program catches up to its football program and our football program regains its early aut form and a rivalry develops there over time. Troy is gaining some major national cred for its football...if Dodge can get us competing for SBC titles with Troy a rivalry will naturally develop.

Also...if you are really seeking a rivalry...you can't keep pushing the latest conference jump agenda as well...b/c we'll start from square one again.

Please stop saying there is any sort of rivalry with SMU...it makes us look like the jealous stepchild competing for our parents attention.

That is not a rivalry. TCU is SMU's rival. One football game and two basketball games in the past 7 years does not make a rivalry...especially not with a program who has a clear rival. Its the Maryland-Duke-North Carolina love triangle I mentioned on here before. SMU does not care about us...so it would benefit everybody's credibility on here to stop pretending that there is a rivalry there...it would be great to have one 30 minutes away...it just isn't going to happen.

At our current juncture...we don't have a rivalry. New Mexico St was developing into one...but they left for WACkier pastures and they stopped returning our calls...bitch. If your looking for a basketball rivalry...we just now capitilized on our talent and became successful...and success breeds hatred...and thats our only hope of a rivalry developing with our void of a geographical neighbor. If ASU continues to excel while ULAR stays pathetic...MAYBE there will develop a bit of a rivalry there.

I think our best hope...in all sports...is that Troy's basketball program catches up to its football program and our football program regains its early aut form and a rivalry develops there over time. Troy is gaining some major national cred for its football...if Dodge can get us competing for SBC titles with Troy a rivalry will naturally develop.

Also...if you are really seeking a rivalry...you can't keep pushing the latest conference jump agenda as well...b/c we'll start from square one again.

Please stop saying there is any sort of rivalry with SMU...it makes us look like the jealous stepchild competing for our parents attention.

Agreed. I think that NMSU was the closest thing we had to a real rivalry (around 2001-2005). Since they left the conference, we should be hoping that a rivalry with Troy can be developed. They seem to be capitalizing on their recent bowl appearances and are looked upon as favorably as a Sunbelt team can be in the media.

The SMU thing needs to be put to a rest. We are not their rival. The whole metroplex situation as far as D1 universities is ridiculous. TCU doesnt think they're rivals with SMU. SMU thinks their too good for NT. NT thinks UTA isn't a rival. All the schools would benefit from playing each other every year in the sports that they compete in. Won't happen though bexause of the politics involved.

We need to focus on creating/fostering conference rivalries because we are assured of playing these teams every year. Same can't be said for any of the local D1 universities during any particular year.