Nt Wins 2 Golds At Tcu Invitational

CMJ

Sounds like all our sports are looking up. How much of our track and field progress over the last couple years is related to SMU pulling the plug on their program?

You know, I'd never thought about that. No doubt there's more talent to draw from in DFW now.

When SMU cancelled their men’s T&F squad, their roster (men’s and women’s) were very small. (This from memory.) Their best men’s athletics were throwers and not from American high schools. I remember only one sprinter.

A look at their current (women’s) roster looks larger than the combined rosters, prior to men’s cancellation. (Really not surprising considering how Title IX works!!!) So if anything you might make a case for how canceling their men’s program has effected the women’s programs at UNT, UTA and TCU, with regard to attracting Metroplex female athletics. So, helping a men’s program? Probably not. Hurting a woman’s program? Maybe! IMHO

NT getting only two first place finishes (one being a tie with two others) in what amounts to a 4 team meet is far from stellar. All NCAA teams have scholarship limits; track/cross country being 12.5 for men and 18 for women. Therefore there are a lot of partial ships which should give a great advantage to state schools versus privates like SMU. NT with the exception of Brandi Stanfield seldom recruits first line performers, I guess going for quantity over quality. I don't know if this is due to a strategy of getting more athletes with partial ships or completely a function of an inability to recruit against the "bigger" conferences for the premier performer.