Boise 2006 Vs. Utah 2004

pollock

It seems there is a furor in college football over the Boise win. Rightfully so.

But where was the uproar when Utah did the same damn thing, under MORE EXCLUSIVE BCS rules?

The only differences I see:

1. Pitt 2004 < Oklahoma 2006. However I submit to you that Utah would have beaten anybody that year except (possibly) USC and Texas.

2. The wild-ass-ness of the '07 Fiesta Bowl.

Please discuss.

It is wierd isn't it? I think the fact the Pitt wasn't highly thought of made that game forgettable to many people, even though the Utes CRUSHED the Panthers. That also think that Utah team could've played with anyone(it was SC, OU and Auburn that year - not Texas). It would've been great to see Utah against Auburn in the Sugar that year. Then we woulda known who the Trojans shoulda played - since obviously it wasn't the Sooners.

Edited by CMJ

It seems there is a furor in college football over the Boise win. Rightfully so.

But where was the uproar when Utah did the same damn thing, under MORE EXCLUSIVE BCS rules?

The only differences I see:

1. Pitt 2004 < Oklahoma 2006. However I submit to you that Utah would have beaten anybody that year except (possibly) USC and Texas.

2. The wild-ass-ness of the '07 Fiesta Bowl.

Please discuss.

BCS defenders were able to mentally prepare for a Utah win by saying before the game that Pitt itself was a weakling and not worthy to be in a BCS bowl. The entire Big East was seen that year as a barely BCS conference.

You can submit whatever you want, but the difference remains that the country actually witnessed it happening when BSU beat OU.

From an immediate context, I think this year's OU team dwarfed that Pitt team. From a historical perspective, OU is the winningest program in college football since WWII. I think that gives BSU's win double the meaning.

I suppose you could say that this year's OU team is a ghost of some of Stoop's other championship teams, but for the purpose of this argument it would hammer that '04 team. I, too, recall wondering in '04 why there wasn't any more uproar.

-gm

Edited by greenminer